icon

2001 Ford Mustang, Mach 460 Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ninno 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

i need some advice on a 2001 ford mustang with a mach 460 sound system heres a list of problems

1. there is no sound from the lower door speakers, there is little sound from the upper door tweeters, and little sound from the rear speakers.

2. the  bass/treble adjustment does not work, the sound seems flat.

3. the built in cd changer will not load any cd's it says full and then shows an error code(not sure what code number)

the car is at a dealership, so i know they wont pay for all day troubleshooting. i need to diagnose and repair if posiible in one visit.

do you think all the problems can be fixed by replacing the deck with another 460.

does anyone know the wiring( powers, grounds, signal...) behind the deck. i found this on here can somone verify its the same as a mustang. https://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/ender03/Radio%20Install/fordtaurus1.jpg 

thanks for any and all replies.

-nino.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Chances are the power supply of the amp in the trunk has failed.  It probably has a shorted rectifier diode and 2 bad IRF-Z44 Mosfet transistors.   I think the originals were 50N06s but they are harder to find.  The Z-44 works fine.  If it is a 6 disc in dash changer, one or more of the discs have moved slightly out of place.  Remove the deck and remove the 4 T-10 screws on the side of the unit.  When lifting the changer mechanism from the radio be very careful, there are 2 cables that connect the 2 pieces.  One flat Ribbon cable and one 2 conductor plug with some very very small wires.  After you get them separated, look at the discs and see if you can see one that is too far back in the changer.  You may have to remove the phillips screws and tae the top cover off to see the disks.  There is one out of place, simply move it back into location and reassemble the deck.  Notice the sticker on top of the deck that reads, and I quote "Keep this side up when powered" and the last line reads "Scrap if Dropped"
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

so i probably need a new oem amp in the trunk, how can i test to make sure the amps are getting power and signal. which amp is for the front and which is the rear. are both amps probably not working. i get no sound in the front bottom, and little sound from the rear. i read somewhere one rear amp is for the rear, and one rear amp is for the front lower speakers. and the front tweeters are internally amped from inside the head unit. can the rear amp problems be caused by the head unit at all, the dealership wants to find a used 460 head unit and they believe all prblems will be fixed.

or they want to install a cheap aftermarket head unit to solve problems. the person that purchased the car wants to keep the 460 system only.

i am an idiot 
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I do not know which amp is for the front or the rear. I have repaired both amps from the same vehicle before. They remove them and give them to me. Sorry I can not answer that one. There could be a common problem with both amps, but it is highly unlikely. The rear amp playing slightly leads me to believe that the amp is getting power. The power supplies do fail in a way that they will produce plus and minus 5 volts or so, instead of plus and minus 20. If they fail that way, they do make sound, but as you stated, it is very low. That amp does not have a shorted rectifier diode, only the Mosfets are bad. New radio will fix only the changer problem.
ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

are both amp the same.

can i switch them to see if the problem moves.

are all 460 amps the same from other years.

if removed do you repair them, and can you give a rough cost estimate(idiot)

i am an idiot 
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

I am not sure if they have the same exact plugs on the amps.  I have no plugs on my bench that fit them, I have to solder power ground and remote wires to the amp to test them.  They may or may not be interchangeable.  They are in the same case, I just never had a reason to inspect the plugs.  50 to 60 dollars each.  Plus shipping.  They should both fit in a U.S. Postal service flat rate box.  10 dollars anywhere in the lower 48.  One day turn around.  PM me if you need info or references.

ninno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks. let me see what the car lot wants to do. i found out today they already ordered a 460 head unit.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic