icon

06 civic hids

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2008 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

hi- been on and off the forum for years, and looking to see if anyone has already done this before i start at it.  i just bought a set of low beam and a set of high beam hids for my girlfriends 2006 civic si.  i am an installer (part-time, winter work), and have installed over a dozen of these kits without a hitch.  i wont be doing the install for another month, but while installing a remote start in a 07 civic, i noticed a potential problem with the high beams.  they are single beam- but when driving, the high beams dim down to a daytiime running lights...   hmmm  i think this could be an issue as single beam kits only want to see two things: on and off.

any ideas?  i will try to poke at the car this weekend with a meter and see exactly what voltage the wires put out.    thanks

(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 3:51 AM / IP Logged  

The issue is with the factory security..... it flashes the headlights when triggered. (NOT good for HID's)

I put a set on my 06. Static in the radio with the lights on.... not cool!  The headlight assembly's are NOT made for HID's... the glare UP, is unreal/

I would suggest a high output bulb using a relay to "turn on" the bulb.

My HID's suck..... it's big work to do the bulbs too.....

You'll see.

roo-dog 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
  thanks for the info-  i already own them so i am gonna give it a go-  im not concerned about the low beams (not saying it will be easy- especially if you said they suck)   and the alarm flash i dont think will be an issue-  she uses the fob from her remote start for lock and unlock so i dont think it will flash the lights.   the hid kits i get are fantastic- i have been buying from the same company for 3 years and have never hada a bad bulb or ballast yet - they ship them to me within 48 hrs on my doorstep, and seem way brighter than others i have tried.  another person in town drives by me often with the same car and they look beautiful.     i will find out soon. 
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
roo-dog 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
  ..and as far as the static...  i have that problem with my truck-  i have fogs that were purchased from my recent supplier, and they barely make any noise, but the set i bought a couple years ago from someone else causes terrible interference.  all but shuts the radio out.    im gonna try to shield the ballast leads, and if that doesnt help, i will probably order a new set at some point.    it would probably be a good idea for me to shield these before i even install them.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
why get low beam in HID? you should retrofit the headlight. retrofit makes it look alot niceer and doesnt blind oncomming traffic. btw, the low beam doesnt come on when you unlock the doors. i only noticed this on acura TL and TSX.
roo-dog 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

ok, so update...   i went ahead and tackled the lights, high and low beam.    i had to take the front bumper off and loosen the fenders to get the housings out (i bet there is an easier way, but no way for me to know on a sat night.)  i found a sweet spot to mount both sets of ballasts,  completely protected by the bumper and far away from any heat source.    the low beams went right in.  i usually run separate fuses and relays straight from battery for each light, but the manufacturer suggested i use them as plug and play  (to prevent any "light out" codes if applicable on vehicle.   the high beams/ daytime running lights (drl's) i decided to use a relay.  i found that it is a single filament bulb, that receives a lower voltage for drl's and 12 volts for high beam.  tested my theory, and found it will only turn on a relay when the high beams are on.  relay stays off at the lesser voltage.  so i went ahead and completed the install...   they seem to work great.    i lost the drl's, but so what.  the low beams seem just perfect.  bright, but not too blinding to oncoming traffic  and the high beams are rediculous - on the highway is like daylight.  ( when high beams are on, both high and low bulbs come on in the car).  

only problem:  when lights are off.... dashboard says "drl" in yellow bold lights.  obviously the car is sensing no current draw from drl's and thinks there is a bulb out.    no big deal, really, but i wanna see if i can try to figure it out.  quite obvious that i can run a bulb under the hood so the computer sees the drl's as working.  but that is silly to me  lol        question  i am asking is:  is there a load resistor i can put that will draw an amp or two?  i bought some for my 90 integra to make the blinkers flash normal with led blinker bulbs.  but the resistors get hot and i dont know if they will burn up or even worse, damage the car.               any honda guys out there have any ideas?    

also-  what was tedmond talking about with a 'retrofit kit"     does he mean new headlight housings or just a projector insert of some sort?   i am not familar with this, please elaborate.  i am not interested in replacing the housings or cutting anything that could fail and leak in the future.                                thanks for looking

also, i have pics, i will post this week when i figure out how to use my new blackberry.

roo-dog 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
  also-  fyi:  i put a separate additional ground wire to each ballast housing (removed a screw and went directly to the ballast.)   i do not have any flashing of the lights with the security, and the radio is crytal claer, high and low beams.   in my experience, i hve noticed that some manufacturers products are more likely to fuzz out the radio than others. i have been buying from the same company for three years without any problems or any failures ( probably about 15 sets installed in various cars)  and grounding the ballast doesnt seem like a bad idea to me either. 
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

i mean placing a projector inside. a tsx or fx35 projector are the best. but anyways to your problem.

the only way to get rid of that DRL is to purchase an adapter to prevent warning lights. i used them a few times and works. from the 9006 connector, a harness plugs directly into place. im not sure what is inside, since i never intended on opening it. but i only had to use it on civics that gave me issues of the DRL light being on. btw, did you plug and play or use relays for direct current from the battery

roo-dog 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
   i wired up separate relays, with separate fuses to the battery directly (with 10 gauge wire) for the high beams.  i was concerned  that the lower voltage from drls would damge the ballast.  on the llow beams, i went plug and play.  space for wiring was getting tight.  and ive done plug and play before without any problems.       thanks for the  info, i thought there might be a solution available.  i bet it is just a specific resistor with a certain load to fool the computer into thinking that a bulb is on and working.   but if it plugs in and works, that is even easier. 
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
using HIDs without a proper projector is illegal because the light blinds oncoming traffic, and if the driver were to be in a head on at night, they would likely be at fault for using illegal lights.
you NEED a projector.
check out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ and do some reading.
if you have been installing these lights, you havent been doing it properly if you havent been using retro projectors.
a couple to look at are the Bosch E46, or even the Hella E55... there are other better ones too.
These are Bi-Xenons, meaning its high and low beam. high beam orks by the little shield flipping down to allow the full amount of light to get through.
they also project the light properly on the road below drivers POV.
Please stop installing HIDs into cars without the proper prjectors, i see them all the time here and its really killing my eyes being blinded by oblivious people who buy these lights and dont properly install them.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic