icon

new kind of ford mach problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmezquita 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2008 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, have a 98 Expedition with Mach system i just purchased. The car did not have a head unit and both factory wiring harness cut. I'm looking for a wiring diagram to install a kenwood stereo to it. I have two sets of wire runs, one with 16 wires and one with 6. I tried just trying to figure them out myself with no luck.Also the only diagram I could find was for the regular stereo, not Mach version. Any help would be great!

ceasar326 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2008 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
WIRECOLORPOLARITYLOCATION new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.BatteryWHITE/ VIOLET(+)RADIO HARNESS
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.AccesoryBLACK/ PINK(+)RADIO HARNESS
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.GroundBLACK/ GREEN(-)RADIO HARNESS
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.IlluminationBL/BLACK(+)RADIO HARNESS
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.Power AntennaAMP=BLUE
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.LF Speaker (+)LIGHT BLUE/WHITE
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.LF Speaker (-)ORANGE / LIGHT GREEN
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.RF Speaker (+)DARK GREEN/ ORANGE
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.RF Speaker (-)WHITE/ LIGHT GREEN
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.LR Speaker (+)TAN / YELLOW
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.LR Speaker (-)GRAY/LIGHT BLUE
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.RR Speaker (+)BROWN / PINK
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.RR Speaker (-)ORANGE / RED
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.Amp LocationABOVE THE GAS PEDAL
new kind of ford mach problem - Last Post -- posted image.Radio SecurityYES

Hope this help check your wires before hooking everything up.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

Your vehicle likely has the sub in the rear quarter panel. If this is the case, that second harness is for the sub and will have an amp turn on.

Start by locating power, ground, and acc12+. Next, locate the amp turn on leads (don't remember if there is more than one) and use a speaker poper to lcoate the the interior speakers.

That last harness will need to be converted into rca ends for sub duty. I believe the rest of the system is high level in.

jmezquita 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the speedy post guys, I will give this a shot when I get home tonight! I didnt see that wiring diagram on the sites info, maybe I just looked in the wrong place. I'm crossing my fingers that all the factory speakers/wiring works, didnt get a chance to test before purchasing the car. Will post again tonight as I'm not to sure what to do with the amp turn-on leads & such. Will a 9V "square" type battery work well for a speaker popper? Goggle says use a "D" sized one...
jmezquita 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, things have gone from bad to worse. I partly got the radio to turn on and may have messed something up with the alarm/remote start in the process.Sorry for the long post, but its very bad and I'm trying to explain carefully! Note this car has aftermarket alarm/remote start installed.

I hooked up the ground first, then the battery & ACC. Nothing happened on the radio so then I hooked both of the battery & ACC wires to the ACC (BLACK/ Pink) and the radio turns on. So somehow my battery wire isnt hot? Obviously the radio wont have any memory if I run it this way so I'm not sure what todo. Well... so while doing this I notice a clicking comming from the engine and the "low gas" light flicking in time with it. It was slow like CLICK (light on), one two three CLICK (light off)  then back on, over and over while I had the key turned on. So i go to start the car and it just CLICK,CLICK,CLICK,CLICK. The battery has plenty of juice, positive its not that, I think I messed up the alarm. So next I try to use the remote start (its always worked great) and it just sits there CLICK,CLICK,CLICK, like for a LONG whole minute! I keeped trying to turn off the remote start and then the alarm starts blaring lood as all hell! I'm in the garage with the doors closed, i mean it scared the wiz out of me. I run and grab a wrench to unhook the battery (not sure this would even work) as I cant turn the alarm off as the remote control was unresponsive, while strugeling to pull the battery cable off it finaly stops on its own. So then the remote control wouldnt unlock or lock the doors, etc until I unhooked the battery and hooked it back up. Well, the car still wont start. Ran like a freaking champ yesterday, I'm positive its the anti theft alarm cutting the engine, battery has plenty of juice. So now I cant listen to the radio or drive it anywere! Help Please!

jmezquita 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2008 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Wow I'm so screwed... any have any ideas?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2008 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
check all of your fuses under the hood with a digital multi meter with continuity. chances are there is a fuse blown either under the hood or in the interior fuse box. and i know this is the least of your problems but dont use a speaker popper unless you are sure that you are using it on speaker wires and not something like an airbag wire.
jmezquita 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

K, I know this thread is long dead, I just wanted to give thanks to those who posted and give some suggestions to anyone who might have this same problem.

First off, thank you for the wiring diagram but it did not apply to my car by a long shot.

I indeed had a few blown fuses, 3 to be exact. I'm sure I had everything to do with it, so first off I replaced all three (This also fixed an unrelated problem with the rear power window, lesson #1 Check fuses first!) This seemed to fix the remote start/alarm problem. Then I went to my local parts-u-pull yard, found the same truck I had, and removed the two stereo harnesses. Luckily the wires colors matched perfectly, so I spliced everything together(Lesson #2, dont mess with the factory harness unless you know what your doing...which is not me...) So now my truck is back at square 1, stock wiring harness. Then I just simply purchased the necessary harness (Lesson 3, dont be cheap, just buy the stupid harness and save yourself a headache) from Crutchfield ($50 freaking dollars...) and now everything seems to work. My speakers dont sound that great but hey the truck has 180K miles on it so I'm not complaining. I'm not sure if the rear amp is working, but I do get sound out of all six door speakers, and its plenty loud.

Anyways, some of this might be elementary for you audio guru's, but newbies like me need some basic common knowledge sometime so thanks for the help!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic