icon

2 pioneer premier 12's, power acoustic amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brandon22 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2008 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

i have two pioneer premier twelves competition series-pro( 3000 watts max) per speaker, and a power acoustic 5500 watt gothic series amp...im runnin a 5ga( i dont know where they got this retarded number at) power wire and 6ga ground and a 500k cap...the power wire came  with a 100 amp fuse block and it fried it within 3 or 4 minutes...on a cap do you have to let it charge before using it? and if so and i didnt could that be the reason the inline fuse blew?? it reads 14.4 when i turn it on but as soon as it hits it drops to 0.0 and its done till i pull the fuse and put in another...my amp has five 30 amp fuses in it which is 150amps...that leads to my next question of...i need atleast a 150amp fuse under the hood correct??  and also would a cap work with that much power in a dodge neon(2003) sxt( not srt4) with a stock type battery( i know i need to upgrade to a red top atleast, but im workin on it) and also i know 500k isnt gonna do s**t for that amp but i didnt know what they where puttin in till it was done...just got back from iraq on 12 november,2008. it was done for me as a welcome home... would i need a battery cap( the battery that is like a built in cap) to put in place of my cap now??or could i use a regular cap and what size would i need...i know i need atleast 2ga power and if im not mistaken ground also right?? the speakers are wired up in parellel to 1ohm...they are origionally dual 4ohm...if someone could please help me with this and im  sorry for so many questions and i didnt mean for this to go on forever but i want to listen to the d*mn thing and get in the competitions asap...i love bass...and i have all this and cant even listen to it(wth?) any help is greatly appreciated 

thank you in advance 

dammit man!!!
birdman38 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  
First off.. a Cap does need to charge. A few other things.. get a RED / Top ASAP. Your stock battery will burn up like mine within a year. Plus..you won't get full power out of your system it is capable of. As far as the fuse blowing.. double check your cap is connected properly. Also make sure your ground wire is connected to a good solid chassis. Your power wire from your battery should be 1/0 gauge for that kind of current. Your ground wire should also be that as well. does your amp have cap inputs? I would call an reputable audio shop and ask them about the fuse under the hood.
car0linab0y 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
brandon22 wrote:

i have two pioneer premier twelves competition series-pro( 3000 watts max) per speaker, and a power acoustic 5500 watt gothic series amp...im runnin a 5ga( i dont know where they got this retarded number at) power wire and 6ga ground and a 500k cap...the power wire came  with a 100 amp fuse block and it fried it within 3 or 4 minutes...on a cap do you have to let it charge before using it? and if so and i didnt could that be the reason the inline fuse blew?? it reads 14.4 when i turn it on but as soon as it hits it drops to 0.0 and its done till i pull the fuse and put in another...my amp has five 30 amp fuses in it which is 150amps...that leads to my next question of...i need atleast a 150amp fuse under the hood correct??  and also would a cap work with that much power in a dodge neon(2003) sxt( not srt4) with a stock type battery( i know i need to upgrade to a red top atleast, but im workin on it) and also i know 500k isnt gonna do s**t for that amp but i didnt know what they where puttin in till it was done...just got back from iraq on 12 november,2008. it was done for me as a welcome home... would i need a battery cap( the battery that is like a built in cap) to put in place of my cap now??or could i use a regular cap and what size would i need...i know i need atleast 2ga power and if im not mistaken ground also right?? the speakers are wired up in parellel to 1ohm...they are origionally dual 4ohm...if someone could please help me with this and im  sorry for so many questions and i didnt mean for this to go on forever but i want to listen to the d*mn thing and get in the competitions asap...i love bass...and i have all this and cant even listen to it(wth?) any help is greatly appreciated 

thank you in advance 

I've got the same subs, and 2-2400 watt mtx mono amps to push.  changing the battery won't stop the fuse from blowing, and a bad ground would SLOW the current, so it would be harder to blow the fuse.  you need bigger than a 100A fuse, that's your problem.  200A minimum, but a good way to know how big is to check your amp.  Add up the amperages on the amp's built in fuses, and get an inline fuse slightly lower.  you want your main fuse blowing before the amps fuses to protect the amp.

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
"a bad ground would SLOW the current, so it would be harder to blow the fuse... 200A minimum, but a good way to know how big is to check your amp. Add up the amperages on the amp's built in fuses, and get an inline fuse slightly lower. You want your main fuse blowing before the amps fuses to protect the amp."
A bad ground will slow the current?? WTH? A cap will charge as soon as is connected. And no you don't need it. Don't waste your money on a Bat/Cap. If your going to run that big of amp,(cough) get a H/O Alt. Your lucky is you get 2KW out of that amp.
The fuse at the battery is to protect the wire. Period. He is using 4 AWG wire. The max fuse would be 150 Amps. Just changing to a 200A without upgrading the wire is not a good idea. Upgrade to 1/0 AWG with a 300 Amp Fuse.
"you want your main fuse blowing before the amps fuses to protect the amp." this is just wrong, see above.
brandon22 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for all your help i have the problem with the fuse fixed now and im waiting on an alternator.. and i just purchased a yellowtop battery..i sure do appreciate it guys..take care and happy new year...see ya at the competition soon..
dammit man!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
car0linab0y wrote:
[

I've got the same subs, and 2-2400 watt mtx mono amps to push.  changing the battery won't stop the fuse from blowing, and a bad ground would SLOW the current, so it would be harder to blow the fuse.  you need bigger than a 100A fuse, that's your problem.  200A minimum, but a good way to know how big is to check your amp.  Add up the amperages on the amp's built in fuses, and get an inline fuse slightly lower.  you want your main fuse blowing before the amps fuses to protect the amp.

This is REALLY bad advice, and simply incorrect.  Please read the corrections posted by audiocableguy above.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic