icon

sequential tail lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
attack eagle 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
to clarify, I haven't read the turn signal bit since I looked at sequentials some time between 2003 and 2006. they're still illegal btw.
where is a recent change to make them legal???? in- phase is still in the language, and they are still using 588e (1970) and 588 1984. in other words nothing has changed re turn signals or stoplamps since 1984 at best, and or most states that don;t reference fmvss 108 reference 588e directly (1970)
Do YOU have a reference showing a change since 2004 making sequential turn signals legal again? If not they are still illegal. Period. unlessy oulive in a state that doesn;t simply reference fmvs 108 or sae 588e and instead spells out the lighting code... without stating sequentials are prohibited.
you state they are legal. prove it.
ford sold sequentials illegally for 3 years after 588e (70-73), Toyota sold all the 2000+ celicas with illegal headlights. 'it was sold that way' doesn't make it legal.
92 BMW 525iT
Black on Black
angelars 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
No one in this thread has to prove anything. YOU made the wild claim. Show everyone line and verse where it states they are not allowed.
BTW- I just asked my nephew (who is a LEO) and he said they are not illegal. He also said that even if they were illegal that no cop would be foolish enough to take the time to give anyone a ticket for one because there is sooo much paperwork involved. In any event, we'll be waiting for your so-called "proof" sequential tail lights - Page 2 -- posted image.
attack eagle 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Again...
SAE 588e (1970 proves illegality.
requires rear turnsignals flash "in phase" with front signals.
There is no question, there is no dispute, they are illegal.
92 BMW 525iT
Black on Black
angelars 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
attack eagle wrote:
requires rear turnsignals flash "in phase" with front signals.
Well there's the problem... you just don't understand what the phrase "in phase" means :)
BTW - our car will also have front sequential turn signals, so by your own admittance there will be no problem with them :)
greendragken 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
Regardless if it is legal or not... if you have enough electronics and soldering experence you might want to try:
http://web-ee.com/schematics/electro-optics/led-turn-signals/
I have yet to try it out, but it is on my list of things to do... Im trying to upgrade all my exterior lights to LEDs, and thought that would be a neat effect.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic