icon

crimestopper post opinion about them.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2008 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
I do remote start installs on the side and have used Crimestoppper only.. I have done around 30 or so installs..
Lately, I have had nothing but issues.. I've had to send back maybe 4 out of my last 8 for various problems. Most of them have been RS1704 TWII's.. Some of the issues have been:
* Intermittent range (sometimes would work 500 feet away, sometimes only like 10 feet away, sometimes not even right on top of it)
* No 2 way feedback.. Customer wouldn't get confirmation that car had started (even when right from inside house, next day from same spot it would work)
* Just flat out not work.. I recently had a customer where neither keyfobs would do ANYTHING.. The next day they would work.. (ground and antenna were fine)..
Once I send the units back in (brain, antenna, and remotes) and get a new one back, all is good..
I'm tired of it and feel like a total idiot having so many customer returns.. Has anyone else had such bad luck with Crimestopper or am I just cursed? Is the RS1704TWII just a bad unit?? Is there a more reliable company!?
Thanks for any replies..
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2008 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
its crapola man.
tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2008 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ha! So are you saving you've had issues with them too?
What do you use?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2008 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
i use DEI and Audiovox prestige. and i do alot of omega too, but its bottom on my list.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2008 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
installed compustar, dei stuff, scytek, bulldog and no name china stuff as well. no problems, but have used a crimestopper and meh, not the greatest build of units i must say
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
I've installed quite a few brands over the years, crimestopper was never the worst ,or the best. I can tell you that I installed crimestopper units (cs-2011) on both of my parents vehicles about 5 years ago, and both units have worked flawlessly. Keep in mind, every brand has build issues every now and then. A while back, I didn't touch DEI stuff for a couple of years because 1 out of every 4 units was bad. Audiovox, at one time also had this reputation. Now, their stuff is rock solid. Being that you are not a shop, and doing this on the side, I would probably switch brands. I have a Compustar on my truck, and brag about their stuff everyday. I've installed a ton of their product, and I think I've only had one unit go bad. If you can't get Compustar, I would go with Audiovox/Code Alarm stuff.
If you can find a way to buy DEI stuff, and get it warrantied out when there is a problem, I would also check their stuff out.
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
I learned on crimestopper. Glad I did because I got to troubleshoot A LOT of vehicles. I've probably put in over 1000 crimestopper starters and they were for the most part worthless.
I install Autostart and Astrostart primarily now. LOVE the astros. Most dependable starter I've installed yet.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
ers1121 
Copper - Posts: 110
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
I try to stay with Omega, out of about 200 I may have had 2 that had issues.
Ed
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
i do a ton of DEI avital starters i think 1 antenna out of 100-150 kits and ford/ code systems 3-5 modules kit 3 and kit 4 PATS bypasses maybe 10-15 out of 200-300 kits
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:
installed compustar, dei stuff, scytek, bulldog and no name china stuff as well. no problems, but have used a crimestopper and meh, not the greatest build of units i must say
ha, you put bulldog above crimestopper. i don't care for either
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic