choice for a 2 way remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gunn1 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

First off, let me say what I great forum and website I've stumbled onto! I've been trying to find answers to installing a remote starter into a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and didn't have much luck on any of the Jeep forums, until one thread had a reference to this website, and bam! I found all kinds of great stuff, wiring tables, posts, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking to do a DIY install of a 2-way remote starter, to put into a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've found that I would like to also use the XK531 module with whatever I pick. It seems the Viper's are a popular choice around here. Problem is, all of the Viper info I have found (from their website) only shows downloads for PDF "User Manuals", but no Install Manuals... They are meant to be installed by professional -only-, so.... Now, I can find them in various places, for sale (ie: EBay), but...do they come with install manuals in the box?

Not to mention, I'm really not interested in the additional security features, alarm, etc. Just remote starting with two-way confirmation and a keyfob that has an LED or something; doesn't even need the LCD screen.

So, is Viper a good choice for me? If so, could anyone recommend a particular popular model? There's a ton and it's hard to find out which is just remote start and which is security+ and which is 2-way... If not Viper, I'm open to any brand that will work well.

I've already downloaded the install guide for the XK531, read a bunch about it. Have downloaded and read alot installing in Jeeps with the Sentry key system, etc. So I'm up for the challenge, just have to find the right unit and buy the parts!

Thanks,

Tom

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 10, 2008 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, all units come with installation manuals in the box. You can take a look at some of the manuals in the downloads section of this site.
DEI makes a quality product, I use their stuff on 99% of the installs I do with great success.
If you are looking for a Viper 2-way remote start without the alarm portion then the Viper 5301 might fit the bill for you.
Keep in mind that DEI offers no warranty at all for the do it yourself installer so make sure the retailer will stand behind it for you. You may want to consider other manufacturers that are more consumer friendly for your Jeep.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
gunn1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply. I was looking into the 5301. Looks likea nice system in current production. Didn't find the manual in the downloads section, but did download another Viper manual (571XV), which I assume they're all basically similiar.

Are all DEI produced remote start kits for "professional install only"? Or are there other brands made by DEI that are consumer friendly? Looks like sticking with a DEI product is definiately the way to go...

Thanks,

Tom

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2008 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

well DEI will only give lifetime warrenty on brain and starter pack if its installed by a professional and DEI dealer shop. However, you can install it yourself if you got some time and a little know how from reading., and now its not PRO INSTALL ONLY.  There are many 2way pager companies out there and they all have roughly the same level of dificulty installing if your a first time installer/DIYer. just to list some other companies

autopage, Compustar, (DEI - Viper, Python, Clifford, Hornet, Avital,) and 2ways are around the same pricing as well. the new viper as twelvevolts mentioned is a sleek looking unit.

gunn1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to bite on the Viper 5301; see it for $197.00, incl. s/h and then need the XK531.

I'd be a first-time installer for a remote start, but have done a bunch of searching online to try to figure it out beforehand. I've done other DIY projects adding accessories to my vehicles, so.... (added keyless entry to truck, added overhad DVD player to this Jeep). I know where to go if I need help!

Tom

lanman31337 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I like the Omega MAX-E.  I've done a few installs, and it can be used in manual transmission vehicles as well.  They also offer lifetime warranty if an authorized installer installs it.
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  
gunn1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was looking into the 5301. Looks likea nice system in current production. Didn't find the manual in the downloads section, but did download another Viper manual (571XV), which I assume they're all basically similiar.

Are all DEI produced remote start kits for "professional install only"? Or are there other brands made by DEI that are consumer friendly? Looks like sticking with a DEI product is definiately the way to go...

Thanks,

Tom

the manual for the 5701 will resemble the manual for the 5301 more closely. check that out instead of the 571xv, that ones more like the 791xv.
MECP Master Certified Technician
ASE A6 Certified Technician
jinstall 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

if you haven't gone with the viper yet I might suggest compustar. viper is nice I'd definitely put one in my own car but if you're just looking for a simple one way then I'd say throw in a compustar 1wamr

if for no other reason than simplicity of the install. viper has a satellite relay pack on their units, compustar is all built in, and a lot mroe installer friendly. if it was 2 way I prefer viper, but 1 way definitely compustar. also in my opinion the viper 1 way remotes are cheap looking.

tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
What does everyone think of Ultra Start?
I was looking at Ultra Start 3285 XR that supposedly has up to 1 mile range.. Heck, if it even does half that range would be awesome.. Those can be had for about $135..
Also, I was looking at Compustar 2W900FMR but those are more expensive (around $200).. They say they can do 3,000ft..
I was also thinking about the Compustar 2BSHLEDR which does about 1,200 feet and is about $125
Any opinions on any of those?
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Take any published range and cut it in half. That is what you can expect in the real world. If you are in a bigger building (ex. shopping malls) you will probably get about 1/4 of the published range.
Personally, I prefer Compustar. I have the 2W900FM in my car, and had it in my previous 2 cars. I do about 8-12 cars a year and always use Compustar because of their reliability, ease of use and ease of install.
Back when I did this for a living, I used DEI, Compustar, and Ultrastart. Ultrastart worked ok, but you can definitely tell it was a cheaper product. Stick with DEI or Compustar and you will be happy.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic