the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

pkugm2x won’t program

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Installing a PKUGM2X on a 2007 Suzuki XL-7. The passlock part works since the car will remote start with the key in the ignition, but it will not learn the transponder part.
Here is how I have been trying: Start the car with the key then shut off after 2 seconds and hold the bypasskit up to the key cylinder and remote start. The manual says if it starts and runs the kit should be programmed.
The car will start and stay running most of the time (sometimes it will turn off after 2 seconds), but the security light stays on and as soon as I pull the bypasskit away from the key cylinder the dash tells me to service the theft system. Then i try hooking up the coil around the key cylinder and holding the kit up to it and it wont turn over.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

i just turn the key to the ignition position until the key indicator goes out

then take the key out then remote start it

programs every time for me

holding the box up to the cylinder is a stupid idea that i found rarely worked

jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2008 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure we are talking about the same module? The module I have bypasses the passlock by tapping into the wires, but the transponder needs to be programmed so that it can send a signal via RF coil that I need to install around the factory coil.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed with robertsc on programming - you should just turn the key to run for a few seconds, not start the car.
Also if you have both of the car's keys, you could wrap one's head with aluminum foil and use it to program the transponder, instead of activating the remote start. I've done that sometimes on GMs.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  
x3 yes, just install bypass including the RF loop, then turn key for a few seconds then take out , then remote start.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
jrilla 
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
I tried it like the instructions suggested about ten times where I did not start the car, but then I read the owners manual and to program another key it tells you to start the car, so I tried that about ten times.
I would never have thought to install the loop and just remote start since the bypasskit manual specifically says to make sure that only the 6 pin harness is plugged in and that the loop is not used in programming.
I'll definitely give it a shot though. Thanks
jrilla 
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I couldn't have done it without your help guys. I must have had a bad module or one that was already programmed and returned. I ended up going with a PHUCG2X and when i attempted to program it the way the manual instructs, it did not work. So I hooked up the coil, plugged in the unit and tried the remote start method and it worked.
Why does the manual say to make sure no harnesses are plugged in for programming and to hold the module up to the key cylinder, when that doesn't work? At least I know now.
Thanks a lot guys, I would have been pulling my hair out I had tried this other module and that one didn't work either.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
jrilla wrote:
Why does the manual say to make sure no harnesses are plugged in for programming and to hold the module up to the key cylinder, when that doesn't work? At least I know now.
I have no idea why the instructions say to do it that way. I program the GM PK3, Mitsubishi, Ford (when using a ring), and Chrysler bypasses after completely installing the unit. Forget holding the box up to the key cylinder. I have never had that work very well.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic