icon

optima battery worth it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
My battery just died so I need a new one. I am debating if I should buy a Red Top Optima or not. Are they worth the money. They are about twice as much as a regular battery.
I am running about 600w RMS and have a little headlight dim with the volume up. I know that I should do the big 3 upgrade first but I am putting that off til summer when it is warmer. Will a battery upgrade actually help my lights not dim as much? I know the alternator makes the power but the battery is important for quick bursts of power when the bass hits right.
I'm doubting it is worth it for me and my system but I would like another opinion. My car is a 03' Jetta btw.
antifork 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have had some bad experiences with Optima batteries myself( I went through 5 of them in less than 2 years with one of them still sitting in my back yard). All I know is that once they drain of power that they cannot be recharged. I think the only good thing about them that they come with a three year battery replacement warranty. It also matters what you are going to run with them too.
Just cut ur frame and drag the thing!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
antifork wrote:
All I know is that once they drain of power that they cannot be recharged.
WRONG!!! The Optimas are FANTASTIC batteries, and CAN be recharged FAR more effectively than can a regular battery if discharged that deeply.
In answer to your question... Yes, they are VERY MUCH worth the extra $$$, and I highly recommend them, in nearly all cases.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
antifork wrote:
WRONG!!! The Optimas are FANTASTIC batteries, and CAN be recharged FAR more effectively than can a regular battery if discharged that deeply.
In answer to your question... Yes, they are VERY MUCH worth the extra $$$, and I highly recommend them, in nearly all cases.
Do you think it will help slight headlight dimming at all or is it just strictly only going to be good for starting my car?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
antifork wrote:

i am going to strongly disagree. they can be recharged. but those batteries are junk! i was a dealer for them even and sold thousands upon thousands for years until i finally had to say no more and i quit selling them based solely on the fact that i had to warranty sooooo many. nearly 8 out of 10. that didnt help me any having guys come back all the time to get crap warrantied. somehow it always ends up looking like your fault. long story short, those batteries are junk with a capitol J!

i finally found a good battery based on the same design as an optima and its made by East Penn, i think ive warrantied 3 in 5 years now. Now that is an awesome battery.

BTW, ALL car batteries are made by only 3, yes 3, manufacturers that produce them ALL and then market them under different brands. East Penn is one of them. They do not make the piece-o-junk optima.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  

antifork wrote:
It also matters what you are going to run with them too.

this is true.

RED top optimas are starting batteries.

YELLOW top optimas are deep cycle batteries. (optima tries to market the red top as a deep cycle battery. ITS NOT. the yellow is way better for this kind of cycle duty)

the BLUE top optimas are marine batteries.

they all stink though if you ask me.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

I too would recomend against getting a red top.  My '04 G35 is on its THIRD red top in two years.  Once they discharge one time they don't hold a decent charge anymore.

They only good thing I can say about them is I've paid nothing and had minimal hassles with the warranty - making me believe that the place I bought it from warranties a lot of them!

Kevin Pierson
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
I used to be a big fan of Optima myself.  I currently have a yellow top in my daily driver that now won't hold a charge for more than 2 days(I've had it for about 2.5- 3 years, so no warranty for me).  Actually, it won't hold it for a day now.  I had it on the charger Sunday(about midday) for about 3hrs on the 10A setting and still couldn't start it this morning.  Had to take the wife car to work.  I had a red top before that.I have a red top(2nd one) in another vehicle and it will last for about 3 days.  It was replaced around 3 years ago under warranty(had a previous red top that only lasted around 2 years or so).  With all that said, I have 2 cars I have to keep switching the battery charger around on just to get them to crank(alternator works fine on both and neither gets the stereo turned up loud at all.  My wife and I can talk at normal levels and hear each other clearly).  I emailed Optima telling them the situation(cars alternater voltage at idle and at 2k rpm, stereo requirements, etc) and they recommend I get yellow tops for both vehicles.  Needless to say, I've decided it's time to cut my losses and move on as well.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  I would like to pay alittle less this time as well.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

97gss wrote:
I used to be a big fan of Optima myself.  I currently have a yellow top in my daily driver that now won't hold a charge for more than 2 days(I've had it for about 2.5- 3 years, so no warranty for me).  Actually, it won't hold it for a day now.  I had it on the charger Sunday(about midday) for about 3hrs on the 10A setting and still couldn't start it this morning.  Had to take the wife car to work.  I had a red top before that.I have a red top(2nd one) in another vehicle and it will last for about 3 days.  It was replaced around 3 years ago under warranty(had a previous red top that only lasted around 2 years or so).  With all that said, I have 2 cars I have to keep switching the battery charger around on just to get them to crank(alternator works fine on both and neither gets the stereo turned up loud at all.  My wife and I can talk at normal levels and hear each other clearly).  I emailed Optima telling them the situation(cars alternater voltage at idle and at 2k rpm, stereo requirements, etc) and they recommend I get yellow tops for both vehicles.  Needless to say, I've decided it's time to cut my losses and move on as well.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  I would like to pay alittle less this time as well.

To all of those who have problems with Optima batteries not holding a charge, do this as it seems to be the only thing that works and even then it only works so so.  Optima batteries will not take a charge on a trickle or even 10 amp charge those pieces of junk need to have a full size battery charger connected to them.  then set that battery to the start mode and charge the battery for a good 15 - 20 minutes.  this seems to get the chemicals activated then turn the charger back down to a 20 amp setting if it has one or the next highest setting from jump start that your charger has and let it charge for several hours.  don't know why but that seems to be the only way to get these batteries to take a charge. 

thats all the advice i can give for any poor soul with one of these batteries other than take it out and get rid of it like a bad rash.  buy something else that is the best recomendation i have.  there are several deep cycle batteries out on the market that use the optima design technology but are built even better.  if you do not feel like searching around to find the best thing for the best price, a good deal is this, just go to your local CARQUEST PART STORE and purchase their version of the optima battery.  it is built is East Penn and is still cheaper than an optima and will be a battery you will never regret spending the money on.  this battery is top notch. if you do the shopping and hunting you will find this exact same battery marketed under different brands. the problem with buying a battery is you cannot just shop for one over the internet and have it shipped to you bcse it considered hazmat.  so you need to find what you want and try and find it somewhere locally.  as i mentioned earlier  all batteries are made by only three manufacturers.  so several of these batteries i am talking abt are the same exact battery that you can find at a carquest parts store locally it just has a different sticker on it. 

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
 KINETIC battery
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic