the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

optima battery worth it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
eh, its just something that i heard from somebody that ive been wondering about but never had a chance to test as my optima is going on 2 years and is still strong
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2008 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
For what its worth, whenever I've had to replace a battery for ANY reason, I've always used a good deep-cycle battery. It seems that once a "regular" battery is discharged, it acts like it only gets about a 75-80 % re-charge. With every deep cycle I've had(except the optimoose) it always seems to come back near 100%
"That'll get ya 10 in Leavenworth,11 in Twelveworth, or 5 & 10 in Woolworth". Groucho Marx                                                      
thejetmolina 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 95 grand cherokee running tvs alot of neons and strobes  and a 4000 watt system my redtop ran strong for 2 years and finally had to replace it then had starting troubles so i got a second and hooked it up in parallel started fine for about 6 months but now neither optima will hold a charge. ill jump start my jeep but once i shut off my car it will not restart. is it the redtop or could it be something else. i dont have an high output alternator cant find an affordable one for my jeep
Beep Beep who got the keys to the Jeep
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know much about all of thattttttttt! I guess I would suggest buying a battery from a tractor-trailer dealer OR just diconnecting some of that stuff. I'd be afraid to light the candle on that puppy.

"That'll get ya 10 in Leavenworth,11 in Twelveworth, or 5 & 10 in Woolworth". Groucho Marx                                                      
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Adding a second battery in parallel to a battery that is already operating in a taxed electrical system will only hurt the situation, it won't help.

The issue with 4,000 watts added to an OEM alternator is that the system pulls more current then the alternator can supply, so the alternator is not capable of keeping the battery charged.  So, you add a second battery which means the alternator now has two batteries to keep charged but still can't produce enough current to keep up.  This will eventually lead to alterator failure.

The solution is to get a high amp alternator (you got to pay to play) or reduce the power requirements of the aftermarket equipment.

Kevin Pierson
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
you need a bigger alternator and to upgrade the big 3 if you have not already. then either get new batteries or charge those back up, but red top optimas are a pain in the rear to charge back up again where they will hold the charge. i say do the other upgrades first, then just get new batteries.
thunda_hawg 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
I 've had  problem with any optima battery ive owned or put in a car.  this includes all 6 of my regular dailies,  two drift cars , and  multiple high power audio sytems  and all have performed without a hitch . I also dont leave my lights on and make sure that the alternator is in working form beforehand. so agian its how  treat the batteries electrically. the same rules apply to agm batteries as acid.
89' 240sx
Rockford t8004
boston z6 comp.
eclipse 3432
polk MM 8"
Taylor owes Joe a Sandwich
thejetmolina 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
does anyone know a reliable place to get a good ho alt and how many amps should i get
Beep Beep who got the keys to the Jeep
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Well... I finally had to replace an Optima battery. Three months ago, when I had my accident (I got the car back yesterday...) I actually pushed the positive terminal bad enough that I cracked the case. In the sitting time since then, apparently the electrolyte dried up, so now the battery doesn't keep any kind of charge... Go figure.
Guess what I replaced it with? ANOTHER RED TOP! No matter WHAT anybody thinks, the red-top IS the best choice, from a purely electrical characteristic standpoint, for a car stereo. For those truly interested in eeking EVERY last iota of performance from their stereo systems, you truly do owe yourself a red-top battery.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic