icon

jl audio hd series vs alpine pdx series

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shagdrum 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
 have seen some threads stroll across this subject some, but very little in depth discussion as to why one is better then the other.
So I figured I would make a thread specifically about this (if I have missed a thead already on this subject, I am sorry; but I didn't find anything very specific and clear enough for me in using the search function).
I am interested because I am about to upgrade my PDX 4.100 (which has gone bad) to a PDX 4.150, but don't wanna miss an opportunity to upgrade to a better product if that is there.
A thread on this, specifically, would serve as a good point of reference, IMO.
I have heard vague and overly general claims that the PDX line doesn't have "balls", but the HD series do. That Alpine makes cheap products because they mass market but JL makes good products because they don't (which is an illogical argument, I might add), etc., etc...
While I am not an expert on car audio tuning, I am a formally trained musician and have a rather good ear for SQ in a performance setting, and that would translate, at least to some degree, to car audio I would think (though there is obviously going to be some distinct differences).
My impression of the PDX amps: I have never heard a clearer sounding car amplifier. It makes the recording being reproduced sound much more natural and realistic.
Some may say that the PDX amps are very "bright" and "harsh", but that is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you are looking for. I, for one, want the most authentic sould reproduction I can get. I can tell from years of playing live music in many different venues (rock, orchestra, jazz, blues, R&B, etc) that certian instruments naturally produce very "bright" and "harsh" sounds. That is the sound the musician is trying to produce for the song. For equipement to dampen that in any fashion is to color the music and change it. If you are wanting accuracy, then that equipment would work against that goal.
Specifically, the hi-hat (and most cymbals) naturally produce very bright and (depending on the technique used) "harsh" sounds. In most modern music (rock, R&B, Rap, etc.) An accurate recording is going to reproduce that bightness and harshness.
That is simply my view based on what I prefer in any type of audio reproduction (accuracy).
Keep in mind that the PDX 4.100 that I currently have (and am basing my impressions on) is getting signal from a Clarion MAX685BT headunit and is playing through a set of Alpine SPX-17REF's up front and a set of Alpine 5x7 Tyep-R's in the back.
I have also had extensive experience with Eclipse amps, Memphis amps, Clarion amps, and a few other brands, and lesser experience with older PPI amps and PG amps
Outside of showrooms in audio stores, I have not had any experience with JL Audio equipement and have never heard the HD series amps.
So, which one do you like? Why? What are you looking for the amp to do, as far as SQ is concerned? What do you look for in SQ? Any opinions?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  

Alpine.......

There I voted!

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
Being an owner of the Alpines myself, (I have a pair of 4.150's and a 1.1000) I have to agree with you. The accuracy of those amps is really like VERY little I have ever heard in the car. I can't agree to the "bright" or "harsh" character, but the lack of coloration I can very much attest to. I think the last time I heard anything like it was with the old, classic McIntosh amps. With a few thousand fewer dollars layed out, and FAR more space left in my trunk, I'm happy.
I haven't heard the JL amps, so, in a fair shake, I can't say whether you will be happier with the Alpine or the JL.
There are several other members of the board that have heard my system, and with their input, I think I'll be sticking with my PDX amps for quite some time.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

I too would stay with the Alpine and their PDX series.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hamfist used to have Audiobahn amps so he doesn't know! (Just kidding) Both amps use very similar "Ice" technology. Reliability  wise I would go with Alpine. Sound wise there should be no difference.
There is no such thing as free installation!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

I just switched from a Nak amp to a pdx 4.150, but I went active so to compare sound characteristics at this point would be unreliable.

Given unlimited funds, I would opt for better speakers to begin, followed by Genisis or Arc SE amps, but I had a PDX in stock and needed to do the swap that day. I don't have any plans of changing this amp out any time soon.

I do however enjoy the sound, the power, and the miniscule foot print of the pdx.

And yes, David's car is quite pleasing to the ears...needless to say.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

It lacks bling, unfortunately.

Support the12volt.com
remarkable53 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

I am fortunate in that we sell both Alpine and JL and I have to say the HD amps are the "warmest" sounding and extremely accurate, JL has again moved the bar up a notch in 12 Volt amps.  I am anxious to audition the new 5 channel that combines the 300/4 & 500/1 in the small footprint of the HD family.  I really believe that even the most "grizzled" and "old schoolers" in car audio would, after putting any of these HD amps thru their paces step back and say "WOW"  it reminded me when i was fortunate to hear the 1st Stealth Box Lucio installed in his Mustang way back when...  I,  like most everyone else, said who in their right mind is going to shell out $500.00 for a single 10" woofer in a fiberglass enclosure??  Ever since I am believer in JL and what they offer.  Please, Please do yourself a favor and treat yourself to the warmest sounding, most accurate amp for the money that has come along in awhile.  I manage a car audio store in Tempe, Az and though I sound like a Homer for JL I am not.  I am though a true believer in what they stand for "Sell great sounding Audio" and for some reason they seem to always be "ahead of the curve" 

mark kelber @ sounds good to me .....          Tempe, AZ

remarkable53
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2009 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
dwarren wrote:

It lacks bling, unfortunately.

We have some chrome motorized "spinner" subwoofer grills at work that would "bling" out your car nicely. Just let me know and I can hook you up. jl audio hd series vs alpine pdx series - Last Post -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry the bling factor isn't there, guys! I was unclear on the concept of "my car". jl audio hd series vs alpine pdx series - Last Post -- posted image.
Yeah, Steven... If you could send those to me ASAP, so I can make these guys happy...   jl audio hd series vs alpine pdx series - Last Post -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic