icon

remote start on a carbureted car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jinstall 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys I have an old car I'd love to put a remote starter on. it's carbureted though, so it'd take a little ingenuity.

no idea how I'd have to end up wiring it but so far I've come up with the ideas that I'd have to hook up the wait to start wire, and have an actuator pulling the throttle cable. what I don't know how I'm going to do is have it pull the throttle cable a couple of times.

I'm sure sombody's done this before. any ideas?

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
done it before but only on a car that wld start with only 1 push on the pedal.  i was able to use a solenoid to pull the carburator and squirt some fuel and set the choke and it worked fine.  if you have to do this multiple times for it to start esp. if its cold i don't know how you can do that.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

I've done a few. First an most important is to tune the car so it starts with one pump of the throttle to engage the choke.This way you can use a pulse before start wire for this. If this can't be acheived you could use an aux channel and hit the button a few times beforehand to pump the gas. The problem here may be that if it needs multiple pumps it probably means the choke isn't working correctly and may stall if you don't give it gas after it is already started until it's warmer. If this is the case it just won't work. I used a trunk pop solenoid connected to the throttle. I have tried door actuators but unless the throttle spring is light it just doesn't hold up.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

I am doing the same thing now with a Viper 5900. I got an electric cruise control servo from a mid 90's Honda civic. Fab'd a bracket to accept this cable in addition to the factory throttle cable and also welded on an extra barrel slot on the carb cam. You can use a small wire with a loop to attach around the factory throttle cable barrel. There is an aftermarket cruise control that sells these little adapters.

I made my own cruise control cable, get the parts from Flanders cables.

To get this system up ASAP while it is still cold out, I am looking at using three DEI 528T, timers. Only one is needed to pull the cruise to a WOT once and set the choke. The  2nd relay will pulse the servo for a split sec to set the throttle open while the 3rd relay will hold the clutch of the servo on for about 30 sec.after the choke is set and the engine is started.  This will take place after the 1st relay has done it's WOT pulse and will hold the throttle open @ about 2000 RPM for 20 sec. during/after starting. Note, using the three relay set up, I needed to use a small NPN transistor (2N4401), a cap and 2 resistors to add a delay after the 1st timer expires to allow the servo time return to zero percent throttle open before cracking the throttle open again. I could have used a 4th timer if I had one. Timer one picks up a 3 or 4 pole relay that hits the cruise servo (one for the motor and one for the internal clutch), and the 3rd holds the wait to start line low during the WOT sequence. This relay's contacts are wetted from the 2nd or 3rd ignition voltage of the remote start, thus preventing un-expected WOT condition under normal driving. The system is only active during a remote start sequence (either monitoring the status line or AUX voltage from the 2nd or 3rd ignition lines.

Phase two, is to replace the relays with a PIC mico-controller that will do all of this with a  RPM input and transistors to  driver on the cruise motor low end which enable micro throttle responses during different  temperatures, ie it does what it has to do to keep the engine running for the first couple of minutes until the fast carb idle is happy. A bonus is to add an engine temperture sensor that I can also use for cold temperature starts (programable with a jumper).  Another addition is to add a vac solenoid to kick out the fast idle when the choke heater cools, with a still warm engine. Nothing like going into a store for 5 min and then have to sit at a stop light with the engine at 2000 RPM for 2 min each time

lanman31337 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
That's what I did with a carbureted vehicle.  This way if the vehicle is warm, don't have to pump.  If it's cold, press the aux channel for a squirt or two of gas, and it starts.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic