icon

1992 jeep cherokee, remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jc9668201 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

I am trying to install an UltraStart G11TL remote starter / keyless entry system in a 1992 Jeep Cherokee and am having problems.  I have everything hooked up as per the manual but I can't get the thing to work.  I keep getting 7 blinks which means tach lock-out.  I tried programming the unit to work in tachless mode and still can't get it to work.  No matter what I do I get 7 blinks.  Also, when I press the lock button I get one blink but the locks don't lock.  When I press the unlock button I get two blinks but the locks don't unlock.

The only problems I can think of are as follows:

The 92 Jeep wiring diagram says that the starter wire in the ignition harness should be YELLOW /GREEN and I could only find a solid yellow.  That is what I used.

I am not sure if this Jeep has a factory alarm system.  There is a little black "eye" on the roof near the domelight but I have no way of knowing if there is an alarm.  I have had the jeep for a long time never thought it had one.  Maybe I just never had the remote for it.  If there is an alarm how would I disarm it??

frustrated with ultra start!!
sinkhole 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Did you grab your wires at the ignition switch or in the harness? What did you use for a tach wire? It should be gray/blue at the PCM. The PCM is located on the inner left fender, behind the head light. Also what wires did you use for Lock & Unlock. They located in the drivers kick panel. Lock = ORANGE / purple Un-lock = pink/purple.
jc9668201 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  

I used the wires in the ignition harness......the wires in the harness were red, yellow, blue, purple, and orange.   I connected both 12v inputs to the red, the acc to the purple, the ignition output to the blue, and the starter wire to the yellow.  I did not use  the orange wire for anything.   

I did use the ORANGE / purple and pink/purple in the drivers kick panel for lock and unlock.

jc9668201 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

The wires from the remote starter unit that i did NOT use were the following:

Selectable Output (white), Diesel Wait To  Start Input (blue),  Horn Output Optional (WHITE/ blue),  Hood Pin Switch Input (GREEN / WHITE), Re-arm output (yellow), Trunk Release Output (RED / white), Dis-arm Output (Brown), Starter Kill (Orange), and Ground While Running Output (WHITE/ violet).

I did NOT use any of these wires for anything.  Could this be my problem?

jc9668201 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Also YES i did use the gray/blue wire from the PCM for the tach wire.  I also tried using the unit in tach-less mode and it still gave me the 7 blink tach lockout diagnosis code
jc9668201 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
OK thanks to "sinkhole" i hooked up some relays to door lock / unlock inputs to change the polarity and now the locks work.........remote start still does not work yet though......any ideas??!!
jc9668201 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Changed the tach wire to a fuel injector and moved my ground......EVERYTHING WORKS NOW!!!!!  What a nightmare that was!
jc9668201 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 5:33 AM / IP Logged  
I installed an Ultra Start G11TL on a 1992 Jeep Cherokee.  I got everything working but when I start it with the starter and then put the key in and drive the vehicle, when I turn the key off the vehicle keeps running and i have to turn it off using the remote starter.  any ideas??
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
did you hook up the brake shutdown wire?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic