the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

No sound from stereo?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure that when you hooked up the line out converter you didn't accidently short out any of the factory speaker wires (i.e. they aren't touching any bare metal and there's no exposed sections of wire).  I know it sounds unlikely but a lot of times when there is power to a radio but absolutely no sound output, it's because of a shorted speaker wire.  This causes the radio's amp to go into protect mode until the short is fixed.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
esmith69 he didn’t use a LOC he used the high input on his amp
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry thinking of another post he must have used a LOC. SO disconnect the line out converter from your rear speaker and see if you get sound
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

Yea I was thinking that it might not even be the converter itself, maybe just that while hooking up the converter and moving the speaker wires around, he may have accidently pullled one of the terminals too close to a metal edge or something like that.  You know how they're often mounted too close to the edge and the smallest movements can short out a terminal.  Kind of a long shot, I'll admit, but I figured I'd throw it in there just as an idea anyways.

But definitely you are right, best thing to try first would be to eliminate the converter and see if the sound comes back.

pilot_chris 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like you may have (hopefully not) fried your radio when you hooked up that basstube to the rear channel. Most stock head units don't have a lot of leaway on impedance and max load that can be put on them. Most stock rear 6 X 9's channels can't handle any more than a 4 ohm load and adding that basstube probably put you way over that. Maybe I'm way off but as soon as you turned the power back on, the power supply in your head unit may have melted. I hope this is not the case and that it's just a blown fuse.
95 Cavalier 2.2L
High Output Alternator
Rockford 1 Farad Punch Capacitor
JL 500/1 for RF Punch HX2 500 watt RMS subs
MTX 4244 4 channel for Polk & Pioneer door and rear deck speakers
esmith69 
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

The radio is still getting power, there's just no sound coming out of it.

esmith69 
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Clarification to my last post--I meant to say the radio is still powering up, it just has no sound output.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic