icon

battery dies every few days

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

haha, maybe me asking will get some answers. 

Kevin Pierson
rockyfarted 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  

I have no aftermarket alarm nor starter kill installed.  I have an alarm/starter combo waiting to go into the vehicle when everything gets sorted out and becomes warmer out again but for right now nothing has been touched or installed.  I have tried many things to see whats drawing the power from my vehicle battery.  Yes I have pulled the fuse near the amp and shut the circuit breaker to the sub amp at the battery.  It's an Alpine mrd-m605 in it right now if that helps.  Could there be something else thats drawing that much juice from the battery?  How can i test the alternator to see if it has a bad diode/regulator?  It charges the battery just fine and not making any funny noises.  What is the deal with all these mustangs and no one has an answer other than plug it in (trickle charge it) untill I drive it.  Thats a band-aid not a real fix.  I have read online about many mustangs and no solutions to the same problem.  What gives?

KPierson 
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

I would disconnect the amp wire right at the battery and hook up your meter and disable the doors pins like previously discussed.

After 20 minutes start pulling fuses until the current draw drops below 35mA.

If you have any aftermarket parts (like a deck) I would start with those fuses first. 

The ultimate goal is to find a single fuse that the excessive current is being drawn through.  Once you identify the fuse you can use a factory service manual to find all devices on that fuse.  The next step would be to eliminate the individual devices from the fuse one by one and see which one is pulling the current.  I know Nissan had a problem with some of their stock head units going bad and the cd mechanism (I think) would draw a bunch of current even with the car off.  This could be something similar.

I would agree that a trickle charger is a band aid, but it sure beats the heck out of jumping the car whenever you want to drive it!   :)

Kevin Pierson
rockyfarted 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I have door pins but no interior lights It's a convertible so i just pulled the rear-view mirror lead out of the mirror so no lights now. The stereo has been disabled a while ago with no difference.  Even power at the battery for the amp has been removed.  Terminals are clean at the battery and battery is brand new.  Tried pulling fuses but nothing major in a voltage drop seen on the meter.  Thats why i'm guessing that maybe it's the alternator drawing juice from the battery after shutdown.  Could i just unhook the alternator power leads and check it that way after like a few days and see if it starts after reconnecting the wires back up to it if it does then that would mean the alt is bad right?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Have you tried disconnecting the alternator overnight to see if the battery remains charged?   Disconnect the large wire and any plugs that are on the alternator. 

chaos7692 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
i am an idiot wrote:

Have you tried disconnecting the alternator overnight to see if the battery remains charged?   Disconnect the large wire and any plugs that are on the alternator. 

you are invisible

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  
But wait, YOU can see me. And Kevin sees me too. This is weird.
KPierson 
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 6:04 AM / IP Logged  

rockyfarted wrote:
Ok I have door pins but no interior lights It's a convertible so i just pulled the rear-view mirror lead out of the mirror so no lights now. The stereo has been disabled a while ago with no difference.  Even power at the battery for the amp has been removed.  Terminals are clean at the battery and battery is brand new.  Tried pulling fuses but nothing major in a voltage drop seen on the meter.  Thats why i'm guessing that maybe it's the alternator drawing juice from the battery after shutdown.  Could i just unhook the alternator power leads and check it that way after like a few days and see if it starts after reconnecting the wires back up to it if it does then that would mean the alt is bad right?

There was a specific reason I wrote what I wrote and for the test to work that has been detailed you must follow each step.

The door pins may "wake up" the GEM module, so you MUST bypass them, regardless of if it is a convertable or not, or if you have 3,000 different dome lights or no dome lights at all.  Dome lights aren't the concern here, electronic modules are.

Also, you are NOT looking for voltage drops - you most likely won't see one with an 80mA load.  You MUST check current, and you must wait for everything in the car to go to sleep.

If you think the alternator may be the cause of the issue you can disconnect the alt while performing the test I mentioned and see if the currend draw goes away.  Or, you can just do what you said and unhook it and then hook it back up later - although that seems a bit inconvenient if you already have the proper tools to actually diagnose the problem.

You may be best off taking the car to a shop that can run these tests and determine exactly where the draw is.

Maybe you should contact I am an Idiot - he usually has some good ideas - I'm surprised he hasn't posted yet.

Kevin Pierson
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
But wait, YOU can see me. And Kevin sees me too. This is weird.

I think he's avoiding you because of your screenname

rockyfarted 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
It's not a 80mA load its an 800mA load that being drawn.  As for the door pins I'll just leave the doors open and wait an hour or so and unplug the rear-view mirror lights as to not kill the battery further.  I have not had time to recharge the battery yet for further testing.  So i'll let the GEM's go to bed and try that first pulling fuses but i tried that before i just pulled them all out and tried it a few days after and the battery was toast. But i'll check again with the multimeter with the modules all sleeping. And then check the alternator after that pull the plug and main + on alt post.  Thanks for the help so far guys will let you know when I get the car started and out of the foot of snow right now.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic