icon

hood pins

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lostissues 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

I’m looking for an alternative to the hood pin that I'm using now. I have a 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and as far as I can tell from looking for the part they have never been equipped with a factory hood pin. Before I was using a very nice all metal hood pin. The shaft that is usually made out of plastic was made out of a non conductive metal. The problem with that was that on occasion when it was raining or snowing somehow I’m guessing moisture created a path for the current and caused the hood pin to see ground thus causing a no start situation as I have a manual transmission. now I’m using one that comes with most DEI remstarts but that will last for maybe a season (lots of salt used on the roads and the hood pins don’t like that) so are there other more rugged alternatives that you guys use?

Thanks for the info.

Jonathan

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
use a magnetic reed switch.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
lostissues 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  

Both good ideas, I would lean more towards the tilt mercury/roller ball type switch. The only thing (and something I forgot to mention in my original post, sorry hood pins -- posted image.) is that in the warmer months I install a carbon fiber hood on my car. I would rather have a pin type switch so that I don’t have to worry about removing and replacing the switch every time I swap over hoods. I know that I could just put a switch on each hood and have a quick disconnect with two wires (one back to the alarm/starter and another to use as a ground when the carbon fiber hood is installed to provide a ground).

I will probably end up going that route, or I may try to salvage a factory hood pin of some sort from a junkyard car, something like a ford Taurus or some Hyundai’s I have seen have some.

Jonathan

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Nissan had some very nice pin switches on their cars. The Z cars from around 85 had some nice ones. I do not remember how they mounted to the vehicle, but if you are going to the junk yard, check them out too.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

some maximas have really nice ones as well.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
The G35 and 350Z s have some nice weatherproof plunger type pins.
Kevin Pierson
jinstall 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
yeah the hood pins supplied with most starters are useless a year later. I'd say try going with a factory pin. a tilt switch could give you trouble on a steep driveway or anythnig liek that, besides, have you ever seen an old chevy truck where the under hood light worked 100%, 100% of the time? not even when they're new do they work that well.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic