icon

what to look for when a keyless stops

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aggresivedriver 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
I've only done one keyless entry at my shop, about 6 months ago, and I havent done anymore or any remote starts/alarms. I have the customer with the keyless entry i installed coming back tommorow because he said it is not working anymore. Just wanted to know what are the first things to look for when checking to see why a keyless entry is not functioning anymore... Fuses, wires going to the brain, anything else I should look for?? Any help would be great!
SKratch 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
Well, what kind of vehicle is it??
Simple troubleshooting should apply, power lock switch ont the door and etc.....Then dig into your keyless unit.... but first make sure your transmitter is getting a signal to the vehicle.
Lights flash when U hit the remote??
Relays click?
If yes, you wanna start with making sure your product has power going in....check connection to the ignition (or power source) then your fuse in line...then check power at the unit.
Staying in this mindframe, check your doorlock outputs going out to any relays or modules you may have...then at those relays, then at the connection to the car.
If you have not found the problem by then, we'll look further.
calijtee1 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
must be a ford. lol what type of vechicle is it ?
installers do it best. we got the magic hands!
aggresivedriver 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
haha, unfortunately it is NOT a ford lol, it is a 2008 Kia Sorento. The only reason I did it is cause the guy at the shop who does keyless/alarm/remote was on vacation and it needed to get done, i was proud it worked but now it sucks it came back haha. 8 hours and than ill see whats goin on with it, customer didn't tell me much, just that it wasnt working anymore. I'm assuming if lights/horn arent doing anything it seems like its a power issue. Like i said, it was my first one, so my connections may not have been great. Ill let ya know how it turns out or if he needs to come back to the guy who does our remote stuff lol.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
6 month old install? The probelm will be with the remotes. Check the b atteries FIRST....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
aggresivedriver 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

I was VERRRY surprised at what the real problem was what to look for when a keyless stops - Last Post -- posted image., and it only took about 1hour to take apart, fix, and put back together..  heres the story.

1.  Took dash apart and got box down..  Looked at in-line fuses, checked out fine.

2.  Got my DMM and checked Constant 12v first AFTER the fuse, wire was fine...

3.  Than I tried Switched 12v, and I dunno why, but i decided to move my ground to the ground that I used for the brain..  Put the car in ACC. and as soon as I touched it with the DMM lead, small spark... Hmmmm...  Than I heard the relays click..

4.  Looked at meter, it was getting 12v.  And sure enough I tried the remote, and lock and unlock now worked..  Took the ground DMM lead off, and now nothing.

5.  So to sum up, the ground was a bad ground.  It was a painted surface.  Moved the ground to a BARE chasis metal with a big bolt and now everything works fine.

I STILLLLLL have NO IDEA why it took MONTHS for this to stop working, or why it didnt just work half the time or something like that.  Youd think with a bad ground, it would work like half the time right?  what to look for when a keyless stops - Last Post -- posted image.  Anyways thanks for all the help guys, I def learned a good lesson though haha!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic