icon

biometrics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not understanding what 87A is being used for - you say your "switch" - what switch?

And this is exactly the setup that I'm talking about if you bump it hard enough it will unlatch - I know I've seen them do it.  Since you are relying on voltage to flow through the contacts to feed the coil if the contact breaks the coil deenergizes and the magnetic field collapses causing the relay to fall out.

Since I'm extremely bored and can't sleep I made a video -   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpVtDAb5o0&feature=channel_page

Admittingly I was hitting the relay with a little bit of force, but I don't believe it was more force then a relay could see in a vehicle moving 70 mph on a bumpy freeway.

And, it's not complicated at all - just a few signals to create!   :)  What gets complicated is when you start throwing in fun things like tach monitoring to control crank time and to verify that the motor is running!

Kevin Pierson
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
your link doesn't work but thats ok because i get your point about the relay. still i think some soft padding could fix that. also if you want to get right down to physics, i would think that the harsher vibrations in a moving car are typically up and down because of bumps, so if i position the relay so that the internal contacts are vertical to the ground like in this picture so that way the metal contacts support themselves and not the magnetic force.
biometrics - Page 2 -- posted image.
also when i say that 87a will be my switch i mean to say that it is the only pin that will be left after creating the latching circuit. it will read 12v constant when the relay isn't energized at all, and then "switch" to an open circuit. so i'll use that "switch" to operate other relays
and as far as all the extras you mentioned, i dont need any of it because this would be more of a manual push-button starter, if it were designed by rube goldberg. just a complicated way of doing something really simple. truthfully i wish i could just disable the run time of my remote starter and make it unlimited, then i could just use remote start activation input on the brain, but now im just running my mouth, curse my overactive imagination!
edit: i will be using something like this, just stripped down to bare parts.
http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/TOCA_Stand_Alone_Fingerprint_Scanner.html
KPierson 
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

This site must filter links to that site - I noticed after I posted that two of the letters were reversed.

I don't think orientation will have an effect on the relay as the relay contacts are spring return to the "home" position.  Therefore, they are always trying to return to that home positon regardless of which way the relay is sitting.  Also, bumps in cars turn to vibration and it's ultimately the vibration that causes the contacts to break momentarily.  I would think the best way to prevent shock from unlatching the relay is to loosely mount the relay in the car - the more it floats the less severe shocks are going to be to the body of the relay. 

I would, at least, throw a cap on the coil to require a ~.25mS delay before the relay shuts off - I do believe there is a relay diagram on this site to do that.

That fingerprint scanner looks cool - expensive but cool none the less!  I hope you get this in and working, I would love to see it!

As far as using your remote start I would think there would be ways to eliminate the "run time" feature.  The hard part is already done - the car has started.  You could possibly use the status output of the remote start and the brake input to trigger a system that keeps the ign and acc latched until you unlatch it.  You, of course, would have to disconnect the brake from the remote start and then the remote start would either a. time out or b. shut off due to over tach.  Or, you could build in an additional relay that would pulse the brake input of the remote start when you perform the take over.  There are LOTS of options, you just have to be creative!

Kevin Pierson
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
yeah the cap does sound like a good idea. ive already figured out the whole scheme to rig it to disarm my alarm with just a relay, resistor, and an extra non-2-way remote. i just need to find a way to convert 12v into 1.5v to keep the remote powered up. the only thing that is a little iffy for me would be the inevitable fiberglass work for the reader itself and i dont want to get rid of factory keyhole. so this means i might need to do some cutting. controlling the starter will have to be a project for another day
KPierson 
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Use an LM337 - it's an adjustable voltage regulator.  You need to calculate some values to get the right voltage output but there are calculators on the 'net to do it for you!
Kevin Pierson
soundnsecurity 
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
biometrics - Page 2 -- posted image.
so i need this thing, 2 caps, and certain resistors depending on what voltage i want correct? and why does resistor 2 have an arrow through it? is it a special kind of resistor i need right there?
ninno 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2009 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

has anybody tried any of this companys products. there not based in the us, but they make some interesting products. i havent seen any info anywhere else.

http://www.spetrotec.co.il/en/product_cat.asp

they make a car based fingerprint reader used as i guess a starter kill.

if anybody knows more about these units, or knows how much and where to get them please post.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic