icon

2001 chevrolet malibu theft system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jarredh 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if there is any possible way to rip out the anti theft system? I bought the car in August and it is very inconvenient delivering pizza's when my car thinks that it is being stolen and I need to wait 10 minutes with the key in the ignition in the ON position until i can drive again.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
why would your car have the factory anti theft system continually activated anyway?  whats wrong with your car and when are you going to have it repaired should be the questions your asking yourself instead.
jarredh 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
I installed my new radio, and general motors being the smart guys, thought it would be good if the radio was tampered with it would not start to prevent it from being stolen.
All I know is that sometimes (Randomly) it will not start for and the "Theft System" Light will turn on and blink continuously until the ignition was in the "On" position for 10 minutes.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

it only started to do this after you installed the new radio? it sounds like another problem but it is strange that it started to happen at thet same time. were you on here a while back asking about installing your stereo without a harness? it seems familiar.

jarredh 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:

it only started to do this after you installed the new radio? it sounds like another problem but it is strange that it started to happen at thet same time. were you on here a while back asking about installing your stereo without a harness? it seems familiar.

Yes i was going to install my radio without the harness, but I realized splitting the wires and hooking them up would make the car think it would be stolen a lot more, so I went out and bought the harness and had some people install it for me, to avoid this happening all of the time.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
umm well.......neither the harness or the stereo have a thing to do with the passlock system, so there has to be another problem and i garantee you it has nothing to do with your aftermarket radio, harness or not, unless whoever installed it did something waaaayy screwy and weird, in which case if you think they have, you might wanna get that checked out.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Indeed, thinking the radio installation has anything to do with your antitheft Passlock system is just wrong. The radio harness can not possibly know to trigger it as there are no data wires there. Does your car have any type of aftermarket alarm or remote start?
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
skostur79 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

its not the radio,

very comment  problem

dtc b2960 is setting at the bcm

you most likely have a bad igntion lock cylinder it includes the passlock sensor that is failing

please check the bcm for water intrustion (disconnect the 3 wire connectors look for GREEN/ poor terminals

hope this helps ,

bd mobile 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
On those cars the ignition harness is to the left of the radio...maybe pulled harness on passlock...but it does reset so...automotive repair shop in future
jarredh 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
yah, all i know is that, I bought the car from an elderly couple that owned it since 2001 and all they did was local travel and put 49xxx miles on it. They did not install any after market alarm system, or remote starter i know that, i'll have to check out the ignition thing and see

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic