icon

sub popping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
matthew perkins 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
When the engine is off and the key is in the accessory position the sub starts popping when i turn it on via my independent toggle switch that i installed. is it a power problem? because when the engine is on the popping stops. do i need a capacitor? any help to solve this very annoying problem would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Matt
Mpice
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Did you use a Line Out Converter?  Did you connect it to the rear speakers of the car?  When the sub is popping, is the radio powered up?
matthew perkins 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 4:50 AM / IP Logged  
No i have not used a line out converter the front and back speakers are still powered by the head unit, my 6x9s are powered by an amp and my sub is powered by a separate amp, i have a distributor which reads about 12V when the engine is off. the sub pops as soon as i turn it on the head unit does not even have to be on. Cheers for your quick reply
Mpice
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
How is the subwoofer amp connected to the head unit?  Make model?
Support the12volt.com
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
You say your front and rear speakers are powered by your headunit, and then you go on to say that your 6x9's are powered by an amplifier.  Is this a third set of speakers? please clarify how you have this set up...
kureti 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2009 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  
Use a Turn on POP Delay refer this site for more details http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=1
K. Venugopal Rao
matthew perkins 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
The amp powering the sub is a legacy blue LA430 and is connected to the head unit via RCA cables, the head unit is a Sony CDX-RA650. Ive had the equipment for years now and have had no previous problems. sorry i meant my front speakers are powered by the head unit and my rear 6x9s speakers are powered by a basic sony amp. the popping is now apparent when the sub is on the engine is on and the head unit is off very annoying!!
Mpice
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
When the head unit is off, turn off the toggle switch that turns that amp on. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

Toggle switch??  Is that how the sub amp is on with the HU off??

Sounds like it could be a bad ground or a bad amplifier.  Check your ground return resistance first and let us know what it is.

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
matthew perkins wrote:
the sub starts popping when i turn it on via my independent toggle switch that i installed. is it a power problem?
Many Thanks
Matt
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic