the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

mono amp w/ 2 sets of speaker terminals?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fezz4r 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Alright I have two 12" 4-ohm SVC subs. I found an Amp that is a Class D mono amp, but it has two sets of speaker outputs? Is this so i can run both subs independently (wired like a 2-channel amp) and still present a 2-ohm load to the amplifier? Or do I need to wire it like a mono amp and wire the subs in parallel?
Also, would 12-gauge speaker wire be significant to power the subs?
airhed692000 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
What is the model number for the amp. MOST OF THE TIME THE PUT 2 SETS OF SPEAKERS OUTPUTS SO YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT SO MANY WIRES IN ONE SET. In side of the amp the 2 sets of outputs are on one bar but it just so you dont have 2 many wires on it. Ex you have 4 subs and you want to put them on to a mono amp. If there was only one set then you would have to put 4+ and 4- in one set but if there is 2 sets then you can put 2+ and 2- on one and the same on the other. Hope this helps. IMPORTANT NOTICE MAKE SURE YOU WIRE THE SUBS TO MATCH 2 OHM STABLE. AMP WILL OVERHEAT OR TURN OFF OR SUBS WILL BLOW UP. THANKS
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS
Pioneer 5 1/4f, 6x9b
xdvd8183 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
0/4power/ground cables
15" RE AUDIO xxx in a 4.5ft3 box tuned to 34hz 146.3db
fezz4r 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the link to the amp.
http://www.sonicelctrnix.com/item_14639_Power+Acoustik+BAMF-2000-1D.html
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
"... OR SUBS WILL BLOW UP." Could you explain how this is possible?
12 AWG is fine. The outputs are parallel inside the amp.
Power Acoustic's ratings are very overrated almost laughable. Divide listed power ratings by 4. IMO, avoid Power Acoustic!
fezz4r 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2009 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Really... thanks for the heads up. Not to get to far off topic, but Phoenix Gold Ryval V8001 was an other amp i was looking at. Would this be a better choice?
Sorry for the ignorance, but since the outputs are parallel inside the amp, does this mean that wiring each sub independently would still present a 2-ohm load to the amplifier? (in other words is that why the amp is wired like that, so i can run each sub independently/have more wiring options?)
fezz4r 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
Alright I have two 12" SVC 4-ohm 400watt RMS/1200 watt peak subs. They're in a ported box. And now Im trying to pick out an amp. I have $250 max to spend, and im looking for something with at least 600 watts at 2-ohm (more is obviously preferred).
Here's a few models I'm looking at...
Phoenix Gold Ryval
Crunch GP1500D
Kenwood KAC 9104D
Kole Audio KX1
I'm also looking at the Power Acoustik BAMF, Gothic and Power series amps.
As you can probably tell, I have no idea which amp I want/need. If anyone has any experience with the above amps(positive and negative) or any other amp that supplies a good amount of power for a reasonable price, please help.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

Keep tucking away money for an amp.  $250 will buy you a $250 amp, whatever the name of the brand...it's still a $250 amp and will have the power of a $250 amp.  There are no miracles.

With a ported sub system, look for an amp that has a subsonic filter built in so you can set a protection filter at 25 or 30 or whatever freq you need.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fezz4r 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
ha that was ment to be a new topic. but thanks thou, ill make sure it has a subsonic filter.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
 Have you read the sticky "How to choose an amplifier" in the car audio section? If not,I think it would help you out .
fezz4r 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
I have, and it did help alot. I'm just anal about this kind of stuff and want to pick out a good amp the first time. So i figured their has to be a few on this forum that have been in my boat before. If anyone has any suggestions, id appreciate them.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic