icon

ground loop isolator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cvame 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
  Ive been tracking down radio buzz in my newly installed system. Ive traced it back to the head unit. Went to the local stereo shop for a noise filter for the deck, but the guy there told me to get a "ground loop isolator"  and put at the RCA before the amp instead.  Ive been out of car audio for more than 20 years, was this guy blowing smoke, or will that work better that a filter on the power wire(s) of the head unit?   any advice for an old timer?
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
He was not. A ground loop isolator should take care of most or all of the noise but I would only think that would be a temporary fix.
What I would try is using the link below. That should help get rid of your noise.
http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

I forgot to mention, im getting a buzz with a clicking noise when the key is turned on,  then that along with a whining noise when the engine is running. Heck, even when i turn the lights on with just the key on i get noise, engine running or not....All this is with the stereo either on OR off..... (BTW- ford powerstroke desiel 6.0)

Thanks for the link, I'll definatley check it out

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a Pioneer Deck? Is the noise barely noticeable, or can the car next to you hear it?
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Do you have a Pioneer Deck? Is the noise barely noticeable, or can the car next to you hear it?

LOL,  "Ive read the Pioneer qoutes in a few of your other posts"...But no, its actualy a JVC KW-XG700.  (Hear me out before you judge me,ground loop isolator? -- posted image.,I have a Ford F250 crewcab 4x4, desiel. with a Fosgate 600 mono- 2 Fosgate P2 10", a Infinity 375A  for the infinity kappa speakers).  I looked for a head unit with as many of the features I liked. It came down to an Alpine or a Kenwood but neither had all.  The JVC did,  though not a fan of JVC,  it was at a price i couldnt resist.....(next time i'll listen to my inner voice. LOL )  

I originaly had i just had  the deck powering speakers and the monoblock. No Noise, but no power either. I added a line driver when i added the 2nd amp and noticed the noise. (Yes loud enough for the car next to me to hear.)  I thought it was the line driver, but during the search i found that the deck was in fact making the noise when powering the speakers direct. It was just so low i couldnt hear it before im assuming.      Im planning on doing the continuity test tomorrow to start with. 

i am an idiot 
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
I feel you on the JVC, I have been and still am a BIG Alpine fan, but from a salesman's point of view you can not beat the JVC for features and Reliability. Yes I did say Reliability. We have had a JVC deck that we sell for 100 dollars for about 4 years now. I was so excited when Alpine introduced their 129 dollar deck, but I can not sell one because of the lack of features. I have given up on trying to sell one to the person that comes in and asks what's the cheapest CD player you got? We sell a case of them a day at each of our stores and in the past 4 years have had maybe 10 units come back with a problem. I have been very impressed.
About this line driver, does it give you multiple outputs with level adjustments that you think you need? After checking the RCA jacks on the radio, plug the cable between the deck and the Head amp back in, and perform the test on the outputs of the line amp. With it connected to the radio, but not connected to an amp, it too should show less than 10 ohms to ground. Do yourself a favor and remove the head amp from the equation. If you are using automotive ampoifiers, you DO NOT NEED the line amplifier. It is simply another stage in which noise is added.
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, Im alittle confused.  "Idont need the line driver"??.... But when i had the head unit to the monoblock. I had very little bass unless i turned the gain and the boost knob all the way up.  With the line driver I have the gain up about 1/4 and dont even need the knob. The deck rates the RCA outputs at 2v, with the line driver its about 8v now. Huge difference.....what was I doing wrong before to get such low power?

So preform a continuity test at the line driver too?

i am an idiot 
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
If you insist on using it, yes test it just as the instructions say to test the radio.  But you have to have the radio connected to the input of the line driver.  I would really try to figure out why you had no signal without the driver.  As long as you are not using a commercial amplifier (Crown, Crest Peavy Crate) you should have no problem maxxing it out with as little as 1/2 volt preout level.
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2009 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

Hmmm odd.  This is like learning car audio all over again (actually, i am) from the "old days'. I tried to give direct from the deck a 2nd chance and it had the same result as before - with the Gains maxed on both amps in order to get good sound.... With the cheap line driver( phoenix gold) my gains are set at about 1/4 with strong power.      As for the continuity tests, negative.....Both were below 1 ohm.... I put noise filters(groung loop isolators) at the live driver and no more noise.  Just a little upset that i had to add so many extras for such a simple install.  I have made my mind up that i'll ride out the JVC a few months and go back to Alpine.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic