icon

lights won't shut off on '09 f150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gr3atm3linko 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
I was trying to find a parking light wire on a 2009 ford f150 and now the head lights and parking lights won't shut off unless you disconnect the battery...doodie! Any ideas, short of taking it to the dealer?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
what wires did you probe and try to connect to?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Remove the switch, remove the 3 screws that hold the switch together.  Take the back cover off, remove the circuit board, look for a tiny burnt trace, It may require a magnifying glass to find.  Once you locate it you need to jump it.   If you have an old IDE hard drive cable laying around, one of the conductors will make a great jumper.  Strip a few inches of insulation off of the wire and saturate the wire with solder.  Now apply solder to both ends of the burnt trace, place the jumper across the burnt trace, heat it up and hold in place until it cools.  Cut off the excess wire.   You applied the wrong polarity to the wire you were probing.
gr3atm3linko 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I sent 12 volts to the WHITE/ violet wire for like 2 seconds, my bad, it tested positive when the parking lights were on and gnd when off. I am aware of the ground based resistance in the vehicle, but I've never had this issue. thanks for your insight.
qdaddy 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
had similar problem on new face super duty guess it was 08/09   but yeah solder the switch back and catch the lights in pass kick or under hood at lights   the wire at switch is low current so it will sizzle i repaired the switch and no problems till this day dont remember the color maybe look up the super duty colors for reference                 tnx
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
This ought to be a sticky...does anyone else feel like they've read about late model Ford trucks and a problematic light switch about 5 times in this forum?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
chriswallace187 wrote:
This ought to be a sticky...does anyone else feel like they've read about late model Ford trucks and a problematic light switch about 5 times in this forum?
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 4:45 AM / IP Logged  
If I get another broken one I will take pictures of the repair process. It really is a simple repair, even for a novice. I do not know if the verbal instructions are too complex, or maybe they believe my screenname and are scared to try the repair, in fear of messing something up. I have given the repair instructions several times but I do not remember if anybody posted back that they had successfully repaired one of the units. I think that at least one of the switches are on Nationwide Backorder for a few months. So you guys better be careful and verify the polarity of the wires before connecting anything to them.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
I just learned about this last week, when I burned out a headlight switch on an '09 Econoline doing the same thing.
I didn't have a magnifiying glass, so I didn't try any repair on the switch.......just borrowed a switch from another van on the dealer's lot, and ordered another one.
Three things to add:
1. I don't think you have to worry about the battery. On this van I was working on, I think the lights timed out after about 10 or 20 minutes.
2. You can at least feel better knowing that it's almost definite that you only burned out the switch, and nothing in the electronics of the truck itself.
3. The switch (for the Econoline van, anyway) is fairly cheap (under $35 list), but the bad side is that it's on national backorder, with an estimate or around two weeks to come in.
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
You younger people will probably not NEED the magnifying glass.  I had to use one to find the problem on the first one I worked on.  It isn't really that small.  Just a little hard to find for us older guys.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic