the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

strange thing with a clarion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

a friend has a Clarion DXZ615 in his malibu. he had to change the starter in the car and when done, he started the car and noticed that the radio wouldn't come on. there is some illumination in the display but nothing operates, no messages or anything. just the illuminated display only. i put on a test bench and it powered up fine with my power supply but would not power up again in the car, even when connected directly to the battery. no speakers, illum wire, or remote turn on connected, just 12v, switch 12v, and ground.

tonight, i put it back on my power supply and it first started to power up with the typical "system check" message that clarions often give. once the "checking complete" message displayed, all messages disappeared and it resumed doing what it had been. i've disconnected it from the power supply and reconnected but still nothing.

any thoughts?

i think a wire's loose somewhere...
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
039186200 is the part number of the part he needs. 1-800-421-5080 is the phone number he needs to call to get the part. Or pacparts.com. The part is 6.25 plus shipping. It is a bit of a tricky repair, get the part and if he decides he does not want to take on the task, you know what to do.
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
The part above is the ribbon cable that connects the face to the motherboard of the radio. Tilt the face down and you should be able to see where the cable is beginning to tear. It happens wherever the cable has a sharp bend in it. I may have a cable at work let me check before he orders one.
Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  
do check. i'll get it from you if you do, just send a pm. thanks!!
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
No luck, I have an empty bag with the part number only.  Sorry, tell him or you to be very careful when removing the old one, the 2 end pins of the plug are bent over to hold it in place, you will have to heat the solder and straighten the pin before attempting to remove it.
Fosgate3 
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  
I had the part ordered and put it in. At first, it looked like it was going to work but it continued doing the same thing right after displaying its initial system check display. I got that, turned off the power to it and then turned the power supply back on to receive only the illuminated display with no message at all nor any buttons working.
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  

I did reply to your PM, but once again your inbox is full.  I will be happy to look at the unit for you, do you need shipping info again?

Fosgate3 
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry bout that. it's empty now, except for the PM with your address in it. I will tell the owner and we'll get it sent down there. Thanks!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic