icon

remote start triggering factory alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
solidgold007 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, first time poster here. I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia SUV I just installed a Bulldog 1200E remote start into. Everything went well, I used the T harness, factory programmed key in the transponder/theft bypass, and keysense wire hooked up. Eeverything works like it should when the car is unlocked, no alarm, starts fine, everything works like it should.  However, once you lock the car, after about 30 seconds of waiting for the alarm to arm itself, trying to remote start ANYTIME after that triggers the alarm.  You CANNOT remote start it with the doors locked for whatever reason without the alarm triggering.   I do not have any of the door locks hooked up to the bulldog transmitter, the lady doesnt care about the keyless entry on the bulldog unit.  I have the YELLOW /GREEN (-) wire on the truck for the keysense hooked up to the RED / BLACK (-) FASD wire on the brain of the remote start.  I also ran a jumper from the RED / YELLOW (-) wire in the drivers door to the keysense wire and RED?BLACK (-) FASD. I saw online somewhere that was the OEM alarm disarm wire. So both of those are wired to the FASD wire on the bulldog.  Sorry if you need more info or if I am being vague in anyway. I need some help here. I have put in about a dozen remote starts in the past and have had no troubles whatsoever. I hope someone here knows the Toyota alarm tricks that can help me out. This thing is driving me crazy!

Also, the YELLOW /GREEN Tach wire behind the glovebox is hooked up to the unit and I cant get the bulldog to recognize a tach signal or tach learn when its running. Any help here would be appreciated also. Is there another wire that could be used as the tach signal wire?

Thanks so much guys for any help you may offer.

loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

While connecting both vehicle's YELLOW /GREEN and RED / YELLOW to the R/S's RED / BLACK, use a diode to isolate each.

Are you sure the YELLOW /GREEN(tach) is coming from the ECM?

Note: I'm showing you only need to pulse YELLOW /GREEN(key sense), to disarm?

Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
Not familiar with those wiring colors from the Bulldog, but:
Your factory alarm disarm output only makes about a one second pulse.
Pulsing the car's keysense circuit momentarily has no effect on the factory alarm. That's not how the car was designed.
Just like the car works from the factory, the keysense wire should see a steady ground during the entire remote start sequence.
The ground-when-running wire from the Bulldog, the one that's going to trigger your transponder bypass box.......you should split that output with two diodes, and one diode goes to the car's keysense wire, and the other diode goes to the bypass module as it was before.
Tach: There are many, many YELLOW /GREEN wires in the Sequoia. Did you test your tach wire or just hook up to it?
Right around the gas pedal, there's a junction block with a whole bunch of YELLOW /GREENs in it. Some (but not all) of those YELLOW /GREENs are tach. That's easier than going behind the glove box.
loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent reply, Chris Luongo.

Following Chris Luongo's instructions, connect the R/S RED / BLACK to the vehicle RED / YELLOW(disarm). I expect you've already designed your relay circuit, to reverse the polarity of the R/S IGNITION output for driving the bypass's GWR, and you can use that drive your vehicle's YELLOW /GREEN(key sense), as there is no GWR available from the RS-1200/E.

solidgold007 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

OK I guess I a way greener than I led on.

I have never used diodes or anything additional like that for a remote start.

I am assuming I need a relay to send a pulse to the factory disarm (RED / YELLOW) wire that was in the door? And isolate it with a diode? Am I using the terminology correctly? Hope so.  Sorry I am kind of new to the import installs yet, this is my first Toyota. 

I am 100% sure the keysense wire is correct, so that should be fine.

So your telling me to take the RED / YELLOW wire that was in the door and run it to where? That is what I found online somewhere to be the OEM alarm disarm.

I am sorry to have to have it explained again, but if you guys dont mind, explain what I would exactly need to do to have this work.

The tach wire was not tested, I am sure its going to the ECM because I went right behind the glovebox to terminate it. I did not test it however, which is my mistake.

Thanks for all your help so far guys, I knew it wasnt something I hooked up wrong, I was sure there were additional parts needed, but on Bulldogs website, it doesnt say ANYTHING about it.

Chris

solidgold007 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry again guys,

Chris, I re-read your post and it makes more sense now.

Is a diode a diode or is there a specific type I should use?

What does the diode actually do?
How would I properly wire in the diode to the larger gauge wire?

So basically the RED / BLACK FASD wire gets the vehicles keysense(YELLOW /GREEN) wire AND the vehicles OEM alarm shutdown (RED / YELLOW), but each with a diode before returning to the R/S unit? Thats all?

loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
What bypass product are you using(make & model)? Forget my previous post. We'll start fresh.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

The diode is a one way valve, allowing current to flow to but not back. Practically any diode will do in this case. Larger gauge wire? What Chris describes requires a negative output wire whenever the RS is on. Take 2 diodes and connect the banded end to this wire. take the other end of one diode and run it to the keysense wire in the truck. Take the other end of the 2nd diode and run it to trigger your immobilizer bypass. Do not connect anything to the wire in the door, or use any pulse before start wire that your Rs may have as it just isn't needed.

If you didn't install the diodes, everytime you put the key in the ignition switch it would send a negative signal to the bypass and turn it on. The diodes stop the current from getting there. Not to knock Chris's post in anyway(he's a smart man), but you really only need the diode in the keysense wire, not the bypass wire and it would work just as well.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

This will defeat the factory alarm system during remote start operation:

• Connect the bypass's GWR to the vehicle's YELLOW /GREEN(key sense), using an in-line diode, with the stripe facing the bypass. Connect the R/S's WHITE(- ignition: thin wire) to the bypass's GWR, between the diode and the bypass module.
  • Connect the R/S's RED / BLACK(FASD) to the vehicle's RED / YELLOW(FASD).
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

DO NOT connect anything to the RED / yellow. Only the keysense is needed to disarm...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic