icon

1998 jeep wrangler remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
leroy jackson 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to install a IC Dynamics Model RS 111-4500 remote start system into a 1998 jeep Wrangler.
The instructions are HORRIBLE! Plus the 6 pin starter harness can be connected upside-down and right side up..however the control box is not labeled top or bottom. So which way is up?
So far I have been able to only get it to crank, and it will crank until the battery dies without starting the jeep. There is nothing wrong with the jeep, it starts and runs fine with the key.
The horn doesn't beep when activated by the remote starter, the parking lights don't work unless they key is on, even then, they are dim and the dash lights cut out every time the parking lights blink.
On the 6 pin connector,
Pin 1 and 2 are power wires, connected to battery for constant 12 volts.
Pin 3 is the second ignition wire..Does a jeep even have a second ignition wire?...Not connected.
Pin 4 is the accessory wire, which is tapped into the blk/orange wire from the key switch harness in order to power the heating system
Pin 5 is the ignition output wire and is connected to the blue wire at the start switch harness
Pin 6 is the starter wire, I have that connected to the starter wire, which is the yellow wire from the ignition switch harness.
On the 20 pin connector:
Pin 1 is the brake input, connected to the brake input wire at the brake switch, forgot what color. It shows battery voltage when brake pedal is pressed
Pin 2 is the tach input, that's not connected right now.
Pin 3 is aux output, not connected
pin 4 dome lights, I have that connected straight to the dome light wire, shows battery voltage when key is on, when grounded, turns on the dome lights
Pin 5 is ties into Pin 5 of the starter harness and is connected to the blue ignition wire
Pin 6 is not used
Pin 7 not used
pin 8 Not used
Pin 9 is ground, connected to a good ground with less then .1 ohm
Pin 10 is connected to pin 1 & 2 of the 6 pin starter harness and is connected directly to the battery
pin 11 not used
pin 12 not used
pin13 hood pin, connected to the hood switch and seems to work as stated as when hood is open, remote start unit does nothing
pin 14 is anti-grind protection. My jeep is an automatic and will only start in park, so it's not connected
pin 15 factory alrm disarm, no factory alarm system. not used
pin 16 factory alarm rearm, not used
pin 17 audible status output. Not used
pin 18 Aux output, not used
pin 19 Parking light output, connected to the parking light output lead on the parking light/ headlamp switch. Does not work correctly, parking lights blink only when key is on, when they do blink, dash lights go dim. only does this with remote start, when activated normaly through headlamp, hazard or turn signal switches, works as designed.
Pin 20 horn output. I have this connected to the lead at the steering wheel to activate the horn, however, horn does not work when activated by the remote starter. Perhaps I tapped into the wrong lead.
This kit is very difficult to install as the directions are very poor. Plus I do not have a detailed wiring diagram for my jeep, only the diagrams provided in my haynes manual..which do not identify the locations of the components listed nor the locations of the connections. Plus it does not breakdown the outputs of the connections and state their function.
In order to get this far, I had to sit there with a multimeter checking continuity and power if each wire in order to determine it's function.
Not a fun job.
I am hoping someone here can help me identify the wires and their purpose so that I can install this friggan remote starter. It's very cold in the morning and I hate having to sit in my jeep until it's warm just so some dirty thief doesn't drive off with it.
So who has installed one of these things in a jeep before? And how did you get it to work right?
hydrodancer91 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

im not familiar with that brand of the remote start kit. could be a bad kit? does your vehicle have a black ignition key or grey? if it is grey then you have an immobilizer and you need a bypass kit for it. i dont remember off the top of my head what year they started using the immobilizers in wranglers. here is a link to the specific wiring as it pertains to your wrangler. double check all your connections referring to this information. and check what color your ign key

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1238.html

leroy jackson 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
It's a black key, not the transponder key. I even stuck the key in the ignition and hadthe same results.
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  

leroy jackson wrote:
pin 14 is anti-grind protection. My jeep is an automatic and will only start in park, so it's not connected

pin 19 Parking light output, connected to the parking light output lead on the parking light/ headlamp switch. Does not work correctly, parking lights blink only when key is on, when they do blink, dash lights go dim. only does this with remote start, when activated normaly through headlamp, hazard or turn signal switches, works as designed.

Pin 20 horn output. I have this connected to the lead at the steering wheel to activate the horn, however, horn does not work when activated by the remote starter. Perhaps I tapped into the wrong lead.

I am hoping someone here can help me identify the wires and their purpose so that I can install this friggan remote starter. It's very cold in the morning and I hate having to sit in my jeep until it's warm just so some dirty thief doesn't drive off with it.

So who has installed one of these things in a jeep before? And how did you get it to work right?

Pin 14 provides the anti-grind feature, that can be wired to a relay to interrupt the starter, during remote start operation. This will keep the driver from accidentilly engaging the starter, when taking over. It's for all vehicle transmission types.

Parking Lights

BLACK / YELLOW (+) 

Light Switch 

Horn Wire

RED / Yellow (-) Steering Column 

The wiring diagram for your 1998 Jeep Wrangler can be found here.

Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
leroy jackson 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

So I should wire pin 14 to a relay that cuts off the starter incase I accidentally tried to start it once it's running huh. So I should run that lead into the input side of the relay, then ground the output and run the starter wire to the normally closed switch in the relay that. This way if I hit the starter, it powers the relay, opening the contact and preventing the starter from working.

I managed to get the autostart to work, there is a second ignition wire not mentioned in the wiring diagram, it's a BLACK/ green wire. Go figure.

I got the horn to work, but the dome lights and parkinglights I had to leave out for now until I can figure how to power them. The dome lights work when grounded and I have a feeling the dome light lead on the autostart is +12v lead. Which explains the funky things that happened when I hooked it up.

I fried the fuse for the parking lights. Don't know why, I have to look into it somemore. But that will have to wait for next weekend. I have the important part done. The thing will start remotely

loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Pin 14 would go to one side of the relay coil. The other side of the relay coil and #87a would go to the key-side of starter wire. The starter-side of the starter wire and Pin 6 would go to #30 of the relay.
Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic