icon

virtual tach reliability?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
i prefer to use a good valid tach source whereever possible, but i find the new DEI units are erratic on learning tach... some just wont learn an injector or tach source for some reason so we use "virtual tach" and i have yet to have one come back to me with problems....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
jmsounds 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
i had the same problem with some ford crown vics and expedition the injectors don't work the cars that i done are on 98  to 2002 that i had problems with so i just do voltage sensing and never had any come backs with this type they start the first time  some dei and other alarms don't detect this type of voltage because is not ac they used 12 bolts pulses
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
"virtual tach reliability?"
Of course NOT. It's a bit of work to hook up the tach wire, but you will sleep better. I have not done an install without hooking up the tach wire. Here is my logic. If the engineer behind these remote starter unit has enough confidence to say the technology behind the virtual tach is reliable, they would have remove the tach wire design off the remote starter unit. Until they do, I would make the tach wire connection for a piece of mind.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.virtual tach reliability? - Page 2 -- posted image.
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
I tried the "virtual tach" for a couple cars and had nothign but problems. Like just crank the first go and then not start but then would start on the second go around. In my eyes that is not a working r/s so its nothing but real tach for me. I actually think I might trust voltage more than virtual tach.
ben d. 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
Just did a remote start in an 06 ford escape and i'm glad i ran tach on that.  let it sit out overnigth and the difference in crank time was huge.. i doubt virtual tach would have compensated but i'll tell you that crank time wouldn't have been right lol.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
MECP Certified Advanced Installer CEA 191700
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2009 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
I do tach exclusively, when temps get down to -20, I just don't trust virtual tach.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
32valvefox 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2009 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
supposedly the virtual tach was engineered in canada where it is not uncommon to get temps -20.  Although i still religiously use a tach wire!  ive got a 5101 in a 06 corolla coming back tomorrow for no strarts.  i think im finally going to try virtual tach and see how it goes.virtual tach reliability? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic