icon

prostart ct3471, ads dlslgm3, 08 silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jb88ci 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to share my experience installing this and identify the errata in the Prostart Manual, seeing that if you go to the prostart webpage and type in your vehicle type etc..it recommends ADS units as interfaces, others may run into the same issues I did right off the hop.
First, Canadian Tire special ordered and sold me my ADS unit with the wrong flash, even after I specified what flash i needed double checked with them before leaving the store with it. Then they told me they couldn't flash the unit. The good folks at Visions corrected the flash error for me at no cost to me.
I installed this as type 3 in idatalink mode, even though the profesional installer at CT told me to install it as type 2 and NOT use an induction ring, said he does it all the time on my exact truck. I mentioned this to the professional installer at Visions who almost fell over.
To install the above I followed the advise given on the idatalink website. ie PS wired +12V, accy, ign and ground. I also had to ground the hood pin during programming and wire a brake input which apparently isn't the norm. I'll explain why in a second. The ADS was wired exactly as the wiring diagram suggests with the 'red' wires connected to the PS or ground, there was never any problem with the ADS unit or its instructions.
So, why the hood pin and brake when you should get that data thru the interface? Even though the Prostart website tells you to install this unit with ADS modules, i discovered that the PS itself comes factory default for expresskit in 2way mode. In order to enter programming mode on this unit you need hood pin and to change the defaults to ADS in 1 way mode, you need brake input.
The Install guide for this unit says you can use the Program Assist Button on the Antenna instead of the hood pin and do it with the hood closed. Then beside the diagram on p15 of their guide it says in bold letters the hood must be open...which it must, therefore you need hood pin, which doesn't get read thru the ADS while the PS is defaulted 2way to an express kit. Also, the PAB is on the module as the diagram indicates, not the antenna as the instructions describe..no buttons on the antenna
So, grounded the hood pin wires with an alligator clip while i programmed the PS unit. I needed a brake input, so wired to the brake wire at the BCM which is a light blue wire, not light blue/white as the wiring diagram PS lets you download says.
So, it works, does everything its supposed to do except sound the horn when it should. I had to get home, so I'll run a horn wire on the weekend when i get a second.
Thanks to tech support guys at idatalink and to the good folks at visions. Oh ya, the actual install, ie disassembly, bench wiring, wiring to vehicle and powering up only took about 2 hours or so...triple checking everything, continuity checks on my solder joints, programming things 5 times on saturday when nothing was working took several more hours.
jb88ci 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
oh, this was inan 08 silverado
saskpuller 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

Those trucks are quite easy with the ADS kit. With the Prostart, autostart etc you need to flash the hood pin to program so hooking up via data on the bench isn't very helpful.  That's the only down side I have found.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic