icon

astrostart, 99 dodge ram 1500

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
export! 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
I have the truck back now and spent a day screwing around with the R/S.
I connected a test wire to the orange output of the brain to measure what was going on when the start sequence initiated. It sends between 9-10v while the RS cranks the engine. I assumed this was a normal voltage under cranking load.
I traced what I believe is the continuation of the orange wire (very tough to see how it's connected up under the dash) to the wiring harness under the hood where it is soldered into a wire run. My first thought was given the small gauge of this added wire and the measured voltage at the brain, I would just use this wire to drive a relay and ensure proper, full voltage.
I connected a test lead to the pos battery terminal and jumped it onto the connection while the RS cranked the engine. No start.
Somewhere in my trials today I actually got it working fine and I started the truck about 6 times with the RS. I put everything back together carefully and tested it one last time before I left it - success. Now, a few hours later it's back to just cranking. I'd really like to figure this out now as I've invested enough time into it that I feel the need to succeed.
Scott
rustic_comfort 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
does it still flash 8 times?
export! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2009 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
No.
I took off part of the dashboard under the steering column and exposed the wiring (much easier to see what goes where).
I traced the orange line (it wasn't the one I thought going under the hoood). The orange wire was soldered to a blue wire in the steering column. After exposing and peeling the electrical tape off the connection I have yet to have it fail to start.
The engine was fairly warm all day from my futzing around so I guess the acid test will be in the morning but I have my fingers crossed. I left it for over 3 hours and it started in an instant.
Maybe there was a slight short on the orange-blue connection. It was soldered very nicely but wrapped in elec tape.
Scott
rustic_comfort 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
cold solder joint,  you may want to redo it.
export! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2009 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ahhh..... could be.   I will hit it with my flux and iron tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic that I've licked it.
I can't convey how much I appreciate the hints and general moral support.
Thanks all who read/posted. Hopefully this will be a closed issue tomorrow. Actually screw it I'm bringing the soldering iron out there right now.
export! 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Well I am just thrilled to say I believe this case is closed!
I resoldered the suspect connection last night and wrapped it up safe and sound with some Scotch 2242. I started it a bunch of times last night and the again a few times ice cold this morning. It start much faster than it ever did with the R/S. Only cranks for maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a second.
I guess the thermal expansion/contraction on the cold soldered joint was enough to make the whole thing act flaky. I think at the best of times the joint was barely passing the amps to fire the ignition.
Thank you all again. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
export! 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Astrostart 3 button
FCC ID J5F-TX1000
I got some awesome help here tracking down a problem which turned out to be a cold solder joint.
The R/S works now - every time. What I was wondering is how do I get the horn to report when the doors have been locked? I don't see anything specific in the programming instructions.   I believe the R/S is connected to the horn - when I push the engine start button after I've already started the engine the horn beeps briefly and the engine continues to run. This is the only horn action I get.
Thanks!
Scott
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
you could connect the factory alarm arm wire from the remote start to the horn wire, that will honk it when the doors lock.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic