icon

high end audio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jquest03 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2009 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
I have been out of the mobile audio field for quite some time and I have decided to jump back in. I recently purchased a 2008 Ford Crown Victoria and was looking to do an upgrade. I want to focus on an SQ sound system.
I have done quite a bit of reading on here to make sure I can't find the answer on other threads. But I still need further advice. I will start with what I am thinking about doing, based on my past knowledge of these companies years ago. Below is the setup I am thinking about:
JL Audio ZR650-CSi (6.5" component set- front stage)
Audison LRX 2.250
Eclipse AVN6620 (DVD/CD/MP3/Navigation unit)
I understand the logic of...."well whatever sounds best to you is what you should buy".   However, I live in the Indianapolis,IN area and it is impossible to find a shop that actually demo's anything worthwhile. So, in order to hear it, i have to purchase it and install in my car.
Are these all still considered high end gear? Should i consider a different route?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2009 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
Good choices, all of those. DO NOT USE THE DECK POWER for the front stage if truly considering anything resembling SQ. Use the Audison for the fronts, and add a sub at a later date. The ZRs and your ears will thank you!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you Haemphyst for the reply. I fully intend on using the Audison amp to power the components.
Follow up question: Am i wasting money on these products if i just stick the speakers in the door panels in place of the factory ones? The last time i did that I had a pair of focal polykevlars powered by an eclipse amp and i was very disappointed by the bass response. I guess the fix is to customize a kick panel solution, but im 6'4" and I need all the room i can get for my legs, which means no room for kick panels. Any suggestions here?
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2009 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

apply at least 2 layers of sound deadening material to the inner door skin, dont forget a deflex pad behind where your speaker is going to be.........next get some 1/8 inch plexiglass and cover the access hole pop rivot it in place .......next put 2 more layers of sound deadening material over that.............. ensolite on top of that ........and finally 1 layer of sound deadening on back of the door panel..........you may also put loom on the rods or cover them with ensolite........I think that would help you get more low end out of the door speakers.l

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

High end audio, nothing wrong with the Audison gear but I would also look at ARC. Personally I like ARC better. I would also take a set of Israeli made Morel speakers over anything from JL Audio any day of the week. The Eclipse AVN6620 is a great dvd chassis, you will really like it. The best speakers in the world are still not going to give you bass response, no matter the amount of deadening you do. You would be far better off with a small sub in the back of that car should you feel the need for bottom end to compliment the fine front speakers. The sound is naturally there, just beyond the capabiities of the front speakers.

www.morelhifi.com

www.arcaudio.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jquest03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden- That's interesting you mention Arc Audio. I have a shop owner in town who is absolutely obsessed with Arc audio and swears its the greatest thing since Peyton Manning!!!
Do you suggest a certain line?
I have done some looking into Morel, but the speakers sound so expensive. Are the cheaper ones going to be a better sounding quality speaker than the JL's?
Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic