icon

starter problems, 1997 mitsubishi eclipse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thinline1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
My 1997 Eclipse (Automatic/2.0 ) will not start. New starter, battery. Have repair manual. Does not give specific location for starter relay. Local dealer not sure either. Turn the key and the starter just clicks once. It acts like the starter is not getting enough current, but can't find an obviouse problem. Bad ground? Starter relay? Ideas?
ThinLine1
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  

thinline1 wrote:
Local dealer not sure either.

I got nothin...... but I LOVE this!   TRUE pro's

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
you say "new" starter huh? is it really a new starter? or is it a reman starter? if so and its one of those autozone or checker specials, i can almost garantee thats the whole problem right there. get your DMM and test the power cable coming into the starter, it should show 12v all the time. now test the smaller solonoid activation wire by having someone turn the car in the start position while you measure it. if you have 12v with the key in the start position, take your piece-o-crap "NEW" starter back to autojoke or where ever it was. if you have no voltage on the small wire let us know and we can help you further. being you say you hear it click once tells me your getting 12v on the solonoid wire. i say your "new" starter isn't as new as you might think.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

This one guys reminds me of the time a guy brought an early 90s Maxi back to a place where I was helping out, he said that this orange warning light came on after one of the lads fitted a head unit and the Nissan dealer claimed it was down to our workshop and a bad installation. So I went into the car, turned the ign on then turned on the overdrive, end of problem. Dealer product knowledge ? No printable comments.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
i am curious as to how this one turned out. thinline1, any enlightenment?
jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
check battery connections as well at the starter, also is the battery even good, but sounds more like a bad connection/

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic