icon

2003 mustang 12

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Flastang 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

just looking for ideas im building 2 boxes and an amp rack i have pulled all interior out of trunk and im putting the boxes in the corner of trunk 2 12"  orions im using mdf on the bottom and the rest is fiberglass i have about 4 coats of cloth and resign i believe this to be hard enough im making the front out of mdf and was thinking about using bondo to flush mount speakers. and input would be great

flastang
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2003 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
you want to use MDF rings.....if you use bondo to mount the subs on it WILL break apart. you need a solid place for the sub to mount. you can take a piece of 3/4 inch mdf and and trace the outer shape of the sub. add 1/2-3/4 inch to that circle. then cut out that ring. then take the ring you just made and lay it on a new piece of wood. trace the outer shape to the new piece. then find the mounting diameter of the sub and draw that on the second ring. then cut that ring out. so what you have now is 2 rings that have the same outside diameter but different size holes in the middle. take the one with the bigger hole in the middle and round the edge with a router and a round-over bit. once you do that. wood glue and staple(or brad nail the 2 rings together). this will give you the flushed look you want and the strength you need. i know i might have confused you. so if i did i can clarify. just ask.
Flastang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

hey a little foggy on that one  let me see i take two rings for each 12"

oh and i hear alot about duraglass what is it?

flastang
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i can send you a pic so you can see what i am talking about
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
the duraglass/ marglass is basically like a normal bodyfiller and works the same way. the difference is , it doesnt shrink as much, if any, and has small strands of fiberglass chop mat in it. you use it for the first layer when filling in bodywork or on your glass project. it is quite a bit stronger than regular bodyfiller
Flastang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
so should i use that for making my mold in the trunk
flastang
Flastang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
hey if you dont mind i could use all the pics you have would help me out very much i have lots of ideas for more glass work in my car just lack of knowledge so im looking for help has well as ideas
flastang
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
what type of things do you need pics of......i have some, but my camera broke and i havent taken any in a while.....so let me know what you need and ill send them if i have something that may help
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
the dura glass is a filler. it is used as the first cote in filling in areas that need strength and need to be smoothed out. bodyfiller is added over the duraglass to smooth it out even more. duraglass is hard to sand when it is hardened....... but to answer your question... no use chop mat and resin
Flastang 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  

would love to see those rings you were speaking of and would like to see an enclosure frame before glassing maybe this wouold help on my next box where do i get chop mat from and how thinck of a coat do i use

flastang
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic