72 Monte Carlo -- posted image.
chaos7692 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
what effect, would this kind of setup in the trunk, have on sound quality or volume?  The fact that the subs are seperated by mdf from the interior, seems like it would be detrimental to the sound.
j.p1nk 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  

This was my first big build, that was done over the summer. As i'm sure you can tell... I had no idea what I was doing and went the all show, no go route. Still, it didn't sound too bad. Although, I would say it definately did have an effect on sound quality...  This setup is currently being scrapped, to make way for 2 - jl 12w7's, 2 - jl 1000/1's, and 1 - jl 300/4. I have all the equipment... Still trying to figure out the layout. I don't want an extra large ghetto box, that takes up the whole trunk. As good as they sound, I'd like to maintain a clean appearance, with a little trunk room left to play with. 

Ideas anyone?

rushman2112 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thats not bad at all for your first big install. I like your choice of going all JL for the next install. You will definately hear the difference from the Audiobahn. As far as a sugestion , it looks like from the first pic you were going to put the subs under the window and then changed your mind or somthing. Any way , I would suggest going back to that and put your subs there allowing the rest of the trunk as like an Echo chamber. Just an idea.....
j.p1nk 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah there were two subs under the window, hidden from view. It was a total of four orion 12's peviously.
The JL 12's came in a ported box, so i had to throw them in the trunk to see how everything sounded... Oh My, the difference in the four 12's to the two 12's is UNBELIEVABLE! The JL equipment is putting a hurting on the charging system, gonna have to do some upgrading there. Still trying to figure out how to lay everything out neatly.
But yes, the box the will be under the window. I appreciate the input Rush.
kris05vvti 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
maaaaad props on the setup! it looks sick!
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

NICE!!!  All show and no go?  Puleeez!  Dude, that system MUST move some hair and rattle some bones!  Sweet install, man!  Wish I was that good with MDF and a jigsaw!  You guys are certainly putting ME to shame with your installs.  I just wish I could find someone to give me a hand now and then, like with mathmatical calculations and simple suggestions.  I just get to stand around in my usually cold garage and consume Corona's while I figure out what to do next!  I'm so tired of wasting so much time putting my amp rack in that the other day I go wized and almost just tossed them in the trunk, hooked them up, and called it good.  But I took a deep breath, a few swigs, and reconsidered.  I've come too far to stop the amp rack project.  But after seeing the ones you guys have done, I'm wondering how mine can end up looking your yours.  My big issue is that I want to have access to my spare tire and jack.  So the amp rack with be mounted with hinges in the front so I can lift it out of the way safely to get to my spare.  Maybe I shouldn't have recently sold my Taurus station wagon!  I could have done a ton of stuff with that thing!  My Stratus is really limited on space.

Again, beautiful job!

rushman6924 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yep Kenwood , that Stratus is a doozie to put a nice big sub system and still keep as a daily driver with access to the spair. I helped my bro design one for his wifes Stratus and had to Down size the subs to a pair of 8s and amp on top of the box so she could get to the spair. Good news is we installed JL Audio W7s 8 inch subs and was suprized how well they performed.
Do it right or dont do it at all. If your not sure, ask!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic