Viper 5901 2 Way Remote Acting Crazy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pathfinderguy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
My 2-way remote has been acting crazy lately. When I press any button on the remote, the remote will display the out of range notification and the remote shows the action not being performed (i.e. Unlock, Lock, Remote Start, etc.). I even get the out-of-range notification when I am standing next to the car. This problem happens randomly, it happens when the car is cold or if the car is warmed up.
The problem, however, is that the 5901 unit actually receives the commands from the remote and performs the actions. So in reality when I press the remote start button, it will say out-of-range and not display the remote start icon on the remote or show the running time but the car will start and run.
The remote has also been doing other weird things. I will randomly get a shock-sensor warning warn on the remote when I know for a fact that nothing has touched the car.
Yesterday I locked the car and as I was walking away from it and about 15 seconds later the siren started chirping but the remote did not signify a shock-sensor warning.
I called DEI and he told me that I need to take the unit to the nearest authorized dealer to have the remote reprogrammed and if that doesn't solve the problem that they have another fix. He said they are aware of this issue and it has been happening on the east coast and it happens to about 1 in 50 systems.
I'm not sure if he was saying that they will reprogram the unit with the bitwriter or if they are going to hook the remote up to a computer and reprogram it through the mini USB port on the remote.
I was hoping somebody could tell me if I would be able to do this myself with my home computer and if there is some special software for the remote which I must download and where I might be able to find that software.
The biggest issue is that I installed the unit myself which DEI hates. The dealer told me that they can't really do much for me since I didn't have it installed at an authorized dealer but they will reprogram the remote for me. It would be great tho if I could avoid the drive and the money if I can do this myself at home.
Thanks!
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
first, put the remote into programming mode (see install manual), then:
1) turn the ignition on
2) press and release the valet switch once
3) press and hold the valet switch, after a few seconds the siren should chirp once
4) press the lock button on the 5901 remote, siren should chirp
5) release the valet switch
6) turn ignition off, siren should chirp a few times indicating you exited programming mode
that's how you program the remote. there's nothing a DEI dealer can do via the USB on the remote and the only thing having to do with the remotes via the bitwriter is lock/unlock remote programming (ability to program remotes using the method i posted above)
pathfinderguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the problem I am now experiencing. I need to remove the current programmed remote from the 5901 unit and the process is the same as adding/learning a remote except for the second step above, instead of pressing and releasing it once I would press and release it twice.
The problem, however, is when I press and release the lock button on the remote (step four above), the remote gives an out-of-range notification and the process cannot be completed. For some reason, the car also does not receive the lock signal sent by the remote. I have tried the removal process several times and each time the remote says it's out-of-range, even when I am sitting in the car.
The worst part is that when I finish trying to remove the remote and I exit programming and get out of the car, the remote can lock the car without a problem. It's almost like the remote is trying to make me angry.
pathfinderguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2009 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
UPDATE:
I'm an idiot. When removing a remote, it is not necessary to enter the PAIR menu on the remote itself. That was why the remote was giving the out-of-range notification when in remote removal.
I was able to successfully remove the remote from the unit and re-learn the remote.
I will test the remote for the next week or so and post my results as to if this fixes my crazy remote issues.
red4x4door 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
I was having a similar problem with the Clifford 3.3x.  I called DEI and they had me send in my remote.  After almost a month the remote showed up and I programmed it.  With the new remote the unit still would not confirm on the 2-way remote.  I read on another post here that someone went on vacation for awhile and unhooked their battery until they got back.  When they reconnected the battery the 2-way started confirming.  So today I unhooked my battery for about 10 minutes and reconnected.  The 2-way remote now works perfectly.
pathfinderguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
UPDATE:
I tried red4x4door's method and it worked like a charm. I disconnected the two terminals from the battery for about thirty minutes and I haven't had a problem yet.
One thing I have noticed that drives me crazy is the signal sent to the remote when the car is turned off. I have the auto remote lock turned on and when you turn the car off it sends a signal to the 2-way remote control so you don't have to unlock the remote to lock the car. Well the 5901 unit sends the signal extremely late after turning off the car and the remote doesn't auto-unlock to I have to unlock the remote and then lock the car. It's just a pain in the ass.
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
well let me just inform you that your not the only one this issue is due to the antenna not responding in cold weather i would recommend you taking it back to where you got it install and ask them for a new antenna that DEI is giving to ppl that have had this issues there also still working on a fix for this issue but it seems like the antenna has solve a few of "no 2way" problem
pathfinderguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
That was my first option, until DEI and my local installer informed me of something. Since I purchased and installed the system myself, and not by an authorized DEI installer, the warranty is void and they will not cover the cost of any new parts or work.
When I took my car to the local install shop, they said that they didn't even really want to touch the car since I had done the install myself. Granted, it was a textbook installation and everything works beautifully (besides this antenna problem, which has diminished down to maybe 5% error).
Now I'm not sure if they ask for a receipt or some proof of installation by an authorized DEI installer or if they just take your word for it. If it's the latter, then I would be more than willing to take it to another shop and have them replace the antenna.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic