2000 ford explorer xls, stereo system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crownshaker 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all!
Sorry for what turned out to be such a long post but I wanted to get everything I could think of out of the way. Well, I've looked and listened on the RoE, The 12 volt, and Steve Meade forums for a while and now I'm proud to say that I'm about to have all the components I need for my install. So here I am, head bowed and humbled, to ask for everyones opinion, guidance, assistance. I just want to say that I really appreciate ANY help thats tossed out as I am a total n00b to installs and have NEVER done it before. But to continue, I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS. Installed so far; (by firedog :P)
H/U - Alpine CDE 9870
Front Door Speakers – Kicker DS680.2 (6x8 + 3/4” Tweets)
Amp Install – Power Acoustik PS1-4000D (Monoblock Class D)
at my house waiting I have;
4x Kicker CVR15-4
In a week or two most Ill be ordering;
2x Dual 15 Slot Vented Enclosures
A Set of Kicker DS680's for the rear doors
Plus the wiring necessary to do the job
(Ill also be having the windows tinted)
I originally intended on doing this install as an “all out balls to the walls” design with all four subs in a custom fitted enclosure forward facing, vented, and taking up the entire cargo section of the truck, but my paycheck limits me from doing that lol. So instead, tired and disgusted of my subs and amp sitting in the closet not getting used, Im settling for two dual chamber, slot vented, premades with 2.25 cubes per chamber. But this is where I need the help though, The subs will be wired in series for a total load of 2ohms. The amp is one ohm stable so Im good there. But when I go to install the subs in these premade enclosures what size wiring do I run from the amp to the speakers? And from speaker to speaker? And how do I go from speaker to speaker with 2 boxes? Any suggestions or known workarounds? This has to work and I want it to flex... well.... At least as best as it currently can.
Amp and Sub Specs
Total Package
@ Min - 1000
@ RMS - 2000
@ Peak - 4000
Per Sub
@ Min - 250
@ RMS - 500
@ Peak – 1000
Amp
@4Ohm - 1200rms
@2Ohm - 1700rms
@1 Ohm - 2200rms
@ Peak – 4000
And Finally; could someone walk me though the door speaker install? All that I really need to do is take off the door panel, take out the factory speaker, then swap that out with the new set of kickers right? I won't have to use new wiring in there will I? And how do I remove the door panel without causing damage? I'm really hoping to avoid having to buy anymore special tools or anything like that as of right now. And lastly how do I remove the panel without causing damage to my suv?
Once again, sorry about the long post but I just wanted to get it all out that I could think of. I really appreciate everyones help in advance. Thanks a lot,
Josh C.
ccityroadshop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
haha yea long post, but as for the door speaker install yes its very easy, just look for any and all screws that are in you door pannel remove those, then if possible pop out any smaller inserts in you door pannels like possibly around the door handle or something then as for popping off the pannel if you dont have a pannel popper you can just use a flat head to get between it and the metal of door and create enough space to get your fingers in and gradualy pull it off all around the outside, what year is the explorer? some newer vehicals will lift up on the door pannesls b/c they are just hooked on to the door frame but i believe on yours you have plastic push pins, then just take your old speaker out and you can either t-tap into the factory wires or cut off the ends and wire in your new speaker conectors and screw it all back together
mustang GT convertible with lots of performance mods... Alpine M500 amp with sealed enclosure, 10 inch kappa perfect, clarion cz500 head unit, kicker ks speakers all around
crownshaker 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks man, Ill give that a shot when I get my 6x8's in. Sounds simple enough.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

ccityroadshop wrote:
haha yea long post, but as for the door speaker install yes its very easy, just look for any and all screws that are in you door pannel remove those, then if possible pop out any smaller inserts in you door pannels like possibly around the door handle or something then as for popping off the pannel if you dont have a pannel popper you can just use a flat head to get between it and the metal of door and create enough space to get your fingers in and gradualy pull it off all around the outside, what year is the explorer? some newer vehicals will lift up on the door pannesls b/c they are just hooked on to the door frame but i believe on yours you have plastic push pins, then just take your old speaker out and you can either t-tap into the factory wires or cut off the ends and wire in your new speaker conectors and screw it all back together

My Navi lifts and then comes out. I would try and lift the pannel first then if that doent work break out the popper tool.

2000 ford explorer xls, stereo system -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic