icon

audiovox remote car starter problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
new2thisforum 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hello I have a audiovox remote ( ELVAT8B) installed on my accord 99 model. This is an after market install and has been working for many years. This year the Remote is not starting the car. It cranks the engine but does not start. However if I have the key in the ignition or near the ignition the car starts with the remote starter. I have all the 3 keys with me. Reading through the forums it talks about reprogramming the keys/ remote? or an issue with immobiliser. Can some one guide me with troubleshooting steps?

Many thanks in advance.

james bond 007 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

If your immobilizer has a spare key in it, you will have to find the box under your dash and check to see if the key has moved out of position, if your immobilizer was the the type that doesn't have a key in the box, it is probibly the wire ring going around the ignition switch under the sterring wheel cover, it could have just come unplugged from the box or maybe the wire was cut or pinched going to the ring (antenna) 

new2thisforum 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

Bond:

Thanks for the suggestion. I  dont think it has a sapre key as I have all the 3 keys with me. Mine is an accord 99 model. How do I remove the stearing wheel cover? Any suggestions?

advanced 
Copper - Posts: 207
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

There is usually a few screws under the plastic ignition column shroud. Remove those & then carefully separate the top & bottom halves.

You will expose the ignition & maybe a loose or disconnected coil ring.

Did you buy the car new? There may be other keys.

Good Enough Isn't!
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
First get underneath the dash......it's all open under there and there are no covers. Just get up under there with a flashlight, and see what aftermarket items you see.
You'll see the main remote starter brain, probably zip-tied to some of the factory braces or wiring.
But you should also see another, second smaller item, also tied in place.
See if you can get any part or model numbers off of that smaller part, so we can see what they used for an immobilizer bypass.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic