icon

adding keyless push start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
240-kid 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
I just recently got interested into putting an Push-start system into my 95 240SX, but I wanted the Full effect my Moms lexus had (IS250) Which was pretty much, no key needed at all to do anything except to have the FOB on you at all times. I was looking at Push Button Start but I would still need to put the Key in the on Position, not really what I'm looking into. So I was searching up Keyless systems and found the "Digital Guard Dawg" system originally fr bikes but have now made Automotive kits. It seemed too simple and un-reliable too me, but I would be wrong.
I also just recently (like 5mins ago) read about a guy who wanted to put a Push-Start system in his older lexus, w/ the Keyless feature which is pretty much the same thing I want. The only difference was that his Key had a chip that needed to be close to the Ign. switch in order to be active. Well the 240SX is much more simple and is your basic Key-Turn start system, nothing more, nothing less. I was looking into getting an alarm system that would recognize the key FOB within distance to determine weather to unlock the car as I approach it or to lock the car as I walk away. In the past I have had both Viper and Clifford (Directed Electronics) alarm systems and both have done me well. But I can seem to find a system that has the recognition feature...
And help would be greatly appreciated
240-kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Oh BTW it's Nissan 240SX 95' if you needed the full specs, also it has the factory alarm but I would like to replace that w/ this new alarm system. Unless you guys suggest other wise...
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
OMEGA makes an alarm with RFID like you are looking for.
240-kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
How reliable are they? Personal exp.?
Also I looked up there site and like 7 different Omega sites came up but none- were the Omega I'm looking for, got a link? Thanks
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
its a new product so i havent used one yet. i used to install alot of OMEGA products but i havent installed any in quite some time. google "omega research and development". or, the web site address is caralarm.com, click the top of the page on "products".
240-kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Any other recommendations?
deluxecustoms 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
After you figurer out witch security you are going to use. You will still need something to control the ACC, IGN, and Starter from a single push button. I'm in line to get one of these StarDrive. It's going in a 92 GTI I think the button is going to fit right in the old key hole after I remove the ignition and column lock. I would love to see some install pics. If any one has done a mod like this on any car.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a picture of my button installed in my TT G35 coupe:

adding keyless push start -- posted image.

My system currently uses the OEM keyfob for locking and unlocking and then uses a passive RFID system to authenticate the system for keyless starting and operation.  I completely bypassed the steering wheel lock.

You need to be careful how you go about doing this - and for my personal situation this is what worked for me.  If you go with a fully active system and eliminate the ignition key cylinder you are putting a lot of faith in a lot of things that you will be able to start your car up.  OEM systems have built in fail safes, something that aftermarket systems can't duplicate.  I would never recomend someone replace their ignition switch with a push button - the chances of not being able to start the car (especially with an active system) are way too high.  You're just asking to be stranded somewhere because either your keyfob broke or the battery in it died.

My car can operate completely with the key or completely without the key so I never have to worry about the car not starting if something in the pushbutton system quits working.

There are some vidoes on YouTube of my system in action - do a search for "Keyless G35 pushbutton start "

Just curious, what didn't you like about the Digital Guard Dawg?  They are expensive, but their technology is pretty impressive and I've read nothing but good things about them (or at least their anti theft products).  Their pushbutton system looks a little "rough".

Kevin Pierson
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
kevin i would love to try one of these systems, but i'm from the carribean, anyway i could get access to one, and what's the degree of difficulty as regards to the install.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
impulseballer 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 4:35 AM / IP Logged  
any updates on this?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic