icon

boston acoustics gtr10 passive radiator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rubicrawler_lj 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

I have been unable to get a response from Boston Acoustics on how to compute an enclosure's size when using their passive radiator.

Can one of you audiophile's help me out?

Thanks

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
What woofer will you be pairing it with? I need T/S parameters, and I can probably get you a starting point.
SPL or SQ? Also, have you ALL the weights that came with it?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

First of all, thanks for offering to help.

I am in the design stages still, looking for sound quality not SPL. I will probably be going with MB Quart's Discus series10" subwoofer, model # DWI-252 with DVC @ 2 ohms, 300 watts RMS continous.

http://www.mbquartusa.com/discus_subs_parameters.html#

Specs: Vas= 38 liters, Fs= 32 hertz, Xmax= 5mm, Qts= 0.322

rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I forgot to list the following specs:

Qes= 0.344, PeRMS= 300 watts and PeMax= 600 watts

Additional information, recommended sub enclosures for the DWI-252 posted at MB Quart website.

http://www.mbquartusa.com/discus_subs_enclosures.html

When I input all the parameters including the GTR10's 9.09" diameter into AJ Design Software's Subwoofer Box Enclosure Design Calculator, I get a port length of over 272".  boston acoustics gtr10 passive radiator - Last Post -- posted image.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/fl_subwoofer/subwoofer.php

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst, do you remember trying to model something up with the one I have?

You weren't able to because BA doesn't list the appropriate t/s perimeters for the PR... or something.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

I was told by a local car audio shop that I should design the enclosure to the subs sealed enclosure specs and account for the PR's volume.

Does this make sense?

rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

UPDATE:

Received an email from Boston Acoustics that stated that I should use the sealed enclosure interior volume recommendations for the subwoofer that I am pairing it with as a guideline.

They also informed that their PRs where designed specifically to be paired with their G5 subwoofer series so I am on my own.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
I'm glad you brought this one back up... I DID actually plug all the numbers I had for these components into my JBL, but I was unable to come up with anything decent. HUGE enclosures with reasonable extension or "whumpy" tiny enclosures for output's sake.
I'll try to get a couple screenshots and upload 'em for you.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

The link that Boston Acoustic pointed me to recommends that I set the GTR10 to "tunning mode 3" for a resonant freq of 30Hz in a 0.5 cu ft enclosure. However, BA says these figures are only applicable when used with their G5 series subwoofers.

http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/manuals/G5_GTR_Man.pdf

Additional information:

Looks like the overall size for my underseat enclosure is going to be 12"X30"X6", I might be able to bump it out another 1.25" to ?" in the center section of the seat (9"X28"X?).  Without any "bumping out",  I should wind up with a Vbox of 0.78 cu ft using 3/4" mdf. 

Should I shelve the PR idea all together and go exchange my 10" sub for two 8" subs instead? I might be able to get a hold of two JBL GTO 804's pretty cheap, would they do the trick?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic