icon

troubleshoot kicker sub, amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dakotadan23 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys.  My wife is running an older Kicker S12L7 with a Kicker SX600.1 that's starting to act funny.  Whenever she turns it up, there's a bad electrical smell.  The sub is still putting out sound, which tells me the amp is still working, and the sub isn't blown (yet). 

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly confident that it's a 2-ohm DVC.  If I were to pull out the sub, I should be able to hit the terminals on each coil and get the resistance across, correct?  Parallel, if the coil is good, I should get 1 ohm, and series I should get 4 ohms.  It should be 2- and 8-ohms if they're 4-ohm coils.  If I get anything other than that, like zero, then I can assume the coil is done.  If they read correctly, can I assume it's the amp?  I don't have easy access to the amp, so I'm trying to get the easy stuff done first.

I know what they say about assuming, so I'm trying to make sure I'm going about this correctly.

Thanks,

Dan

1948 Chevrolet Fleetline - rat rod
1998 Dodge Dakota full custom
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - wife's daily
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT - 'cause 30mpg don't suck!
a471789 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

The subs can be damaged and still read the correct resistance.  Sometimes the smell that you notice is the wiring within the sub, melting and burning up.  Remove the sub when it has been playing and the smell is present.  Smell in the box.  If it is stronger in the box, there's the problem.

Brent
MECP Advanced Installer
"I don't claim to know it all, just more than you."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic