icon

2007 ford expedition overhead monitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skroesen 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Everyone, couple of questions regarding a DVD installation.
I purchased an overhead DVD/Monitor for our 2007 Expedition XLT, No Sun Roof, With Rear A/C.
Did some searching around before I start the install it looks like it is common practice to install a backing plate of some sort made of plywood or metal. Do I need to fully remove the headliner for this install or will I be able to just pull the front part down enough without damaging it and still install the backing plate and wiring.?
Where do you typically draw power from for one of these units?
It has RCA Audio outputs and our Expedition has an auxilary input (RCA Plugs also) at the rear stereo controls for the back seat. Is there a trick to use these plugs without having the wires exposed and plugging directly into these ports?
Thanks in advance!
skroesen 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
Also, on the backing plate. Am I correct to assume there is some sort of support structure above the headliner I can safely screw that to? A friend mentioned that some places glue it directly to the roof but I don't really think that is the best way...
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

At the B pillar you will find a support that runs across the truck door to door. I cut a hole a little smaller than the DVD itself and stuff a metal plate up there, screwing it to the support. After that you can screw the DVD to the plate.

I get power from the ignition switch, PURPLE / green wire for accessory.

Your DVD dosen't have a built in FM mod? most due eliminating the need to connect audio signal.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

Really Mike...I've never done it that way, but i'm sure it does make the install easier being that you have more room for your hands to work in.  I always thought it best to just cut a small hole to get the wires through.  I usually cut a square hole about 3" by 3" or maybe 4" by 4".  I see your reasoning to cut it that big, but what if the unit they have goes out and they have to get a smaller screen, or smaller unit?  Is there ever any gaps left to fill in that case?  How much smaller do you cut it as compared to the unit being installed.  Not belittling your install, as I know you know more than I do, but I'm just curious if you've had any problems with that type of scenario.    

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

I cut the hole just large enough to get a plate in there that is big enough to reach the mounting holes on the DVD. Some units like the Advent i do differently, i cut a smaller hole just to run wires and get a fix on center and mount the included DVD bracket below the headliner. I attach the bracket directly to the support in the truck.

We warranty all our units for 3 full years so they ain't coming back for a smaller one....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
paidnfull 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
I've worked on a few.  i think since u have rear a/c vents da rear half of da headliner is lower than the front.  what i usually do is drill 2 screws on the metal plate it comes with where I want to mount the overhead centered. Then I cut a small X where theres a empty space between bracket  run my wires and fit my hand through or fingers to speed clip the bracket to the headliner.  If your headliner isn't lower than usual there should be support bars going from the pillars dividing front/rear doors. If so drill into it using self taps but becareful not to drill through your roof. Secure bracket where necassary on each side and mount lcd with screws provided.  Grab Acc power at ignition and I usually ground at one of the pillars.  Make sure you dremel or scrape da paint off with a flat head where you want to ground so you'll avoid video noise
skroesen 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input guys. It does have a FM modulator, but in my experience with my Sirius unit it is just a pain in the rear so I figured I may as well take advantage of the RCA inputs on the rear stereo controls.
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
The FM mod in the DVD is gonna be a little better than your Sirius(at least this was my case). I have used the factory inputs tho by pulling the controls in the console and soldering to the board so the wires don't show. I would suggest trying the FM mod first, you may be surprised...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic