icon

1/2 mdf for ports

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well i'm probably going to build a new box soon which i would appreciate help with but the main question I'm currently curious about is can you use 1/2" mdf for ports rather than 3/4" to save air space.
I'm planning on building 2 vented enclosures for 2 RE SR10" and was going to use external ports. Would using 1/2" sacrifice anything?
blah blah blah blah
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2009 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
spootydlux4 wrote:
Well i'm probably going to build a new box soon which i would appreciate help with but the main question I'm currently curious about is can you use 1/2" mdf for ports rather than 3/4" to save air space.
I'm planning on building 2 vented enclosures for 2 RE SR10" and was going to use external ports. Would using 1/2" sacrifice anything?
you will sacrifice some strength and if you plan on using screws it will be harder to screw it together without splitting the wood so you need to predrill every hole. you should pre drill anyway even with 3/4" but its more necessary with the thinner material. be sure to use some kind of glue too for safe measure. ive only seen a handful of boxes blow up because of pressure but it can happen so keep that in mind when you build it
ryan95x 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

1/2" will not give you problems, you could probably even use 1/4" for the ports without ill effect.  The enclosure walls are the main areas at risk of flexing/exploding (in a sealed box), but because your enclosures are going to be ported, there will be a lot less pressure acting on the walls since the sound pressure is going to be redirected out the box via the ports - "The path of least resistance"

-Dual XHD6425 - HD Radio w/USB & 3.5mm in
-Power Acoustik PS4-840
-Infinity Components
-10" Clarion SW1051 in FG molded box
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
I would say it depends what part of the port you use 1/2" whether it is a good idea or not. If this is a slot port with a slot of turns in it then you could use it for the inner turns. The outside part that is going to be exposed to the sub I would still use 3/4" though.
The reason is not due to strength but rather do to flexing. 1/2" material will flex much more then 3/4". Since flexing = lost output you will want to minimize the amount of flexing as much as you can.
So either use 3/4" for that inner piece or just brace that inner piece well so it does not flex.
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
you can use 1/2in mdf and clover it with fiberglass to make it stronger. That is what I have done before. Works nice but a little work
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic