icon

’05 jeep wrangler system upgrade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rubicrawler_lj 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2009 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

I am in the process of upgrading my '05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited's OEM radio and suppossed 7 speaker system.  My goal is to retain the OEM Head Unit add a sound processor (if really needed) two amps, replace OEM speakers with Infinity, JBL or Polk units and add a custom underseat subwoofer enclosure.  I am not trying to tear my ear drums, just looking for a little cleaner sound that can hopefully get past the road noise.  

Since my Jeep is a softop, the goal is to not draw too much attention to it by using the OEM locations and OEM looking replacements.  My plan is to upsize the front 4X6 to 5.25" components, the 5.25" in the roll bar to 6.5" coax's, possibly abandon the 6.5" sub in the center console and add a custom sub enclosure under the rearseat.  Depending on the space available, I would like to squezze in a 10" sub and maybe a passive radiator.  Powering the new speakers with a dedicated sub amp (500 to 700 watts RMS) and a 4 or 5 channel amp (600 to 800 watts RMS) for the rest.

Question #1: 

I have only found on the net listings for replacement speakers in the dash (4X6), the center console sub (6.25") and the roll bar sound pods (5.25").

What size are the two other speakers and where are they located?

Question #2: 

I have been looking at all the various units that are available from Audio Control (LC series, Epicenter Plus, Matrix, etc.), JL Audio CL441dsp, MTX Audio reQ-5 and Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY series to name a few and to be honest the capabilities of some of these units are dizzying  to me . ’05 jeep wrangler system upgrade -- posted image.

Is a sound processor, bass restorer or line driver really required?

Thank you in advance.

rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

Found the missing the location of the two missing speakers, Jeep used a component mid-bass and separate tweeter setup in the front speakers instead of their typical 4X6 whizzer speaker setup.

So by Jeep's standards when I upgrade to component 5.25's up front and component 6.5's in the roll bar pods I will have a nine speaker system! ’05 jeep wrangler system upgrade -- posted image.

rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

I have a ’05 Jeep Wrangler and I am trying to upgrade the stereo by replacing all but the HU. Since I will be adding two new amps and need an auxiliary input for an MP3 player I am going to pick up a signal processor as well. I have narrowed my choice to two signal processors; Rockford Fosgate’s 3SIXTY.1 and MTX Audio’s re-Q5. Both of these units supposedly remove the HU’s built-in equalization that compensates for the crappy OEM speakers. 

Which of these two signal processors would you guys recommend for my application?

System background:

• Front speakers - Infinity Reference 5020CS, 5.25” components
  • Roll bar sound pod speakers - JL Audio VR650CXi, 6.5” coax
  • Center console subwoofer - Bazooka WF621.5DV, 6.5” woofer DVC (mid-bass driver in OEM location)
  • Custom subwoofer enclosure - MB Quart DWI-252, 10" subwoofer w/Boston Acoustics GTR10 PR
  • 4 channel amplifier - Power Acoustik LFA4-1200, 100 watts RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms
  • 2 channel amplifier (sub amp) - Power Acoustik LFA2-800, 150 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms

Notes:

• The OEM sub was replaced with a Bazooka 6.5” DVC woofer (2 ohms ea.). Currently I am using two channels of a Concord 4050 4 channel amp (65 watts RMS x 4 @ 2 ohms) to drive it.
  • Not sure if the 6.5” mid-bass driver will be needed once the custom subwoofer enclosure is installed.
  • Waiting on required internal volume verification to build.

BTW, I am sure that I have provided most of you a good laugh with my equipment selection!  ’05 jeep wrangler system upgrade -- posted image.

Thank you in advance.

rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

Someone has got to have some experience or opinion of either the Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.1 or the MTX Audio re-Q5 sound processors.  Please share!

If I have to base my decision on $$ alone I will be going with the MTX's re-Q5 since I can pick it up for $99.95 vs. R's 3SIXTY.1 $199.95.

Thank you in advance.

ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
I dont know much about the 2 you are considering, but all i can tell you is to stay away from audio control, they usually cause more problems than they fix..   Any of the processors you are considering are goin to add some noise decreasing sound quality, how much depends on the quality of the installation.  I know you want to retain your factory receiver due to the rag-top, but this may not be the best option for you... 
rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info.

It's been a while (early to mid 80's) but AudioControl made some of the best EQ available for custom installations, sorry to hear that their quality has slipped.

That is why i inquired here, most of the "kids" selling car audio products these days do not jack about what they are selling, they just regurgitate the manufacturer's sales pitch!

I guess I can always get a 4 channel line driver from PAC or PIE to start and see what happens. I really want to avoid getting a new HU, they just attract to many thieves!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
I have used Audio Control for years and I have zero issues with these "problems" that ragsports eludes to. The LC6i is probably the ideal interface for you and add the sub level remote to it as well. After that, we all hear different and myself personally, there is no way that I would install those Infinity speakers in my own vehicle (or the similar JBL). If you want some advice on speakers to consider, Eclipse pointsource would be a ideal place to start. For the sub, figure out the mounting depth that you have available and the area for the sub box, then choose a sub that will suit those parameters. Chances are it might be a shallow mount sub like the Pioneer Premiere TSSW1041D. A solid 5 channel amp is the Eclipse XA5000 if one can be found, great output, smaller chassis and low heat signature. If you go to the two amp route, look to any of the current generation of ICEpower class D amps as they are uber small and have lots of output.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
rubicrawler_lj 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  

Good to hear that AudioControl may still going strong!   I looked at both the LC6i and the LC7, I figured the LC7 would better suit my needs because of its auxilary input. The other two units were recommended localy.

Maybe it is because I am comparing them to the crappy OEM units they replaced but for my taste and budget the Infinty's will do for now. My Jeep is a soft top so anything I put in there will be drowned out by road noise above 35 mph. I can make the system louder but the acoustical environment just sucks! 

Just curious, why do you dislike Infinity and JBL speakers?  PM me to keep this topic from starting a flame war!

As for the subwoofer enclosure, I am looking at a 12"X30"X6" enclosure of 3/4 MDF. It grosses out at a Vbox of 0.78 cu ft ., keeping it a sealed enclosure should more than large enough for two 8" subs or one 10" sub. I was looking at using a passive radiator but I am starting to think that two 8" subs would be a better route.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic