icon

power window switches

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hudsonsrule 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
How do you convert 3 wire power window switches to work with 5 wire power window motors?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Are there actually 5 wires going into the motors? If there are only 2 wires going into the motor, we can do this with 2 relays per door. Are the switches you plan to use going to put out ground or power to activate the relays?
hudsonsrule 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
Actually there are only 2 wires to the motor. The problem is I have pre 1980 GM switches that have only 3 wires. The new power window motors require polarity reversing switches these have 5 wires. I have seen some kits to do this conversion, They have 2 relays but I am not sure how to hook them up.
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

power window switches -- posted image.

i am an idiot 
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
power window switches -- posted image.
wyckaz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, how about if I have switch like in vw 1994, it has one wire for windows up or down if window goes down then there are positive polarity, if it goes up it has negative polarity, what about that and two wires, I the sheme as shown, but I used diodes, but then if I pres up motor doesnt stops working, down the same polarity changes, but motor doesnt stop.. what should I do?
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
What do you mean when you say motor does not stop? Does it keep trying to run after all the way up or down? Exactly what VW are we talking about?
wyckaz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
vw golf 1994 with original window switches, but the motor is only two wires, not original, and switch controls motor with one wire only as I said it gives positive for closing widow and negative for opening, I tried all the system on the table, without window, only with motor and original switch, and if I pres up, it goes up but doesnt stops, it's always runing, down, the same, but to the other side :)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
That VW is using a processor attatched to the motor,it's no good for your work. the VW switch is reversing polarity, just like some Maximas. The switch you are after is  an  a momentary SPDT. It simply distributes pos or neg to an up relay or a down relay. Listen to what Mr idiot says he's usually right. N.B. Your method rquires two relays per motor, let me give you two easier options, 1 get Spal 5 wire switches, no relays required, shove a 530t on the end, no forget that it won't work. Just use 5 wire switches. N.B. Earlier VW and Mercedes used pos at rest wiring, nearly all others use neg at rest, ther's no difference at the actual motors, they are all 2 wire.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
I screwed up there the pre 94 VW's simply used a pos at rest switch, when pushed "up" that side stays pos and the "down" side switches neg.  It's not relevant to what you're after. Mr. Idiot explains it perfectly well.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic