icon

2008/2009 chevy malibu suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davescomptips 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hello All. Long time lurker - first time poster! 2008/2009 chevy malibu suggestions - Last Post -- posted image.
This may be a long post, but I want to cover everything. To give a little background: I'm not new to the car audio scene, but I've been out of the loop for about 15 years. The changes (in equipment and installations) are amazing! Wow, where did all of these brands come from? Seems a lot of the better companies are making junk.
All right, on to the questions and such!
What I plan to do is install a modest system in a 2008 and 2009 (yes 2) malibu. I want to keep the stock head unit (6cd/xm/aux input, RAP, OnStar, chimes) and replace/add from there.
The basis for the system will be:
New 6.5 components for the front doors
10" or 12" sub
Stock rear speakers for fill
45 to 65 watt per channel 4 channel amp with one side bridged for the sub.
Here are my questions...
1. It's cold out and I haven't been able to verify but it is my understanding that the 6 disk changer radios have an external amp. I would like to use the low level inputs to this amp as inputs to the new amp to eliminate a converter. Is this possible? Does the factory amp have a remote lead, or is it hot when the ignition is on? If not where are you guys getting remote power?
2. 6.5 components. I listen to a variety of music from jazz to hip-hop, but most is rock, 80's rock, grunge, and alternative. What is your suggestion for quality 6.5 components in the $150 to $200 range? I believe the depth is around 2.75". Does anyone know exactly?
3. I'm going to built a fiberglass/mdf enclosure on the right side of the trunk. Should have about 1.5 cubic ft max. I'm looking for a 10" or 12" - sealed or ported.
I'm leaning toward Alpine type R or RE Audio SE, what is your opinion for a $150 sub?
4. Amplifier. I'm leaning toward an Alpine MRP-F300 or JL AUDIO A4300. Thoughts?
Remember, I'm staying modest. I have to take the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) into account, lol!
Any help, suggestions, and/or information you can provide is much appreciated!
Dave
davescomptips 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have any answers, opinions, or suggestions?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a good overall system.
i dont remember malibus ever having factory amps but ive never handles one with the 6 disc changer, but your best bet for grabbing remote power is either the cigarette lighters because the factory radio doesn't have one, its all data on/off. you can check the ignition switch for ignition power but if you find it there i would only use it to drive a relay and then from the relay to your amp. this is just to be sure it wont interfere with your ignition system
if it does have a factory amp then, yes you can use the low level inputs from the amp by just soldering some RCA cables to the wires with the shield on the negative input and the core soldered to the positive input, it should work
as for the components i would recomend diamond audio HEX series components. they are a little more than $200 but they are worth every penny. and they give you the option of aluminum or silk dome tweeters
your amp selection looks find too, either one is ok
for your sub i would go with the RE but thats just my very biased opinion, haha
davescomptips 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hey,
Thanks a lot for the reply. I appreciate it!
Anyone else have opinions or suggestions?
dawggboy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
check out the cadence stuff outlet store is brimming with awesome deals and love how everything sounds that ive heard
davescomptips 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
I was actually looking at a Cadence TXA-3004 amp. I've heard a few good things, but it is one of those brands that appeared during my hiatus.
Are they any good? Any other 6.5 component suggestions? Thoughts on the sub (brand and ported/sealed)?
dawggboy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
im in the process of building two systems my 91 s-10 which will have 2 cadence zxw-102 10" woofers powered by a txa-3002 amp  and 2 sets of components txc-6k they are 6.5 inch sets powered by a txa-3004 now the plus side of the components im running they are 2 ohm components which are great for the txa-3004. ive listened to everything in another vehicle with a different enclosure and it all sounded great. the othe system im doing is in a 2006 jeep liberty and is a sub install. 4 cadence dcw-15rvc 15" subs powered by two cadence zrs 9000d amps i had these in a box i had in a blazer with the amps hooked up to a setup i run in my garage and i was picking everything up when i was done playing it. this stuff rocks!!! email me dawggboy@yahoo.com and ill give you the prices on what im running and where to get it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic