icon

91 s-10 professional opinion on system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dawggboy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

Okay Im not looking for advice so much as an opinion on what im installing for my first diy install so i will list everything i have for you all to ponder over.

I am working on a 91 Chevrolet S-10 Reg cab pickup i have talked to several local pros (i use this term lightly as i watched them all do one install and decided to do it myself.), since you guys and gals if there are any, seem to know whats going on in the world and have helped me alot so far. Thank you very much by the way.

I plan on installing the following:

Head Unit: Jensen VM9512 w/ 4 volt rca preouts 7 inch in dash monitor and navigation unit 60 wattsx4 rms

Amplifiers: High end Cadence TXA-3004( 150x4 @ 2 ohms)

Subs TXA-3002 (300x2 @ 2 ohms)

Components in q logic kick panels and custom door pods Cadence TXC6K's 6.5" mid bass and 1 inch tweeters Rated at 90 watts rms 180 watts peak (not sure how i should set these up my amp will do 75x4@ 4 ohms,so if i ran my components in parrallel i believe i would be under,but i have been assured by the manufacturer they can handle the 150 watts no problem.)

Coaxial speakers in stock locations: 2 boss 4x6 se462 2way in dash.

2 boss audio 4x10 se433 behind the seats

my subs are 10" cadence zxw102's rated 300 watts @ 2 ohms rms and 600 watts peak

i plan on installing the subs in a 1.55 cubic foot ported enclosure Built to specs using your awesome calculators Thank you again

my entire a/v system will be powered by an extra 105 amp alternator and an optima red top battery w/800 cca's 

I am also running a power acoustic 10 farad capacitor (i know its probably overkill but i had it in my garage and it still works so why not?)

4 gauge power wire throughout ( 8 guage into amps), 12 guage speaker wire to subs, and 16 gauge speaker wire to component crossovers. my coaxials will use the stock mounting locations speaker wire etc. and will be powered by the head unit

my video consists of two 7 inch monitors in my visors, and the 7 inch monitor in the hu, im installing a playstation2  with a 500 watt power inverter.

Any ideas comments etc. would be greatly appreciated ill post pics as soon as i get some taken.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

It's good to see you've been doing research on this forum.  But why all the speakers?  Why do you want the two pairs of Boss?  Your 6.5 component set should be all the soundstage you need in that small cab.

BTW, "advice" and "opinion" are one and the same on a forum.  91 s-10 professional opinion on system -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dawggboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i kinda knew that but i didnt want to sound desperate the reason im using the other speakers is because i had a similar setup. It was installed by a so-called professional in my 97 s-10 with two MA Audio tens i was just going by what it had. but if you think the components will be sufficient i have a friend who has an s10 just like mine who im sure wont mind getting a free set of coaxials. oh i do have a question should i just wire my subs straight up or should i wire them in parrallel to get 600 watts@ 4 ohms?? or is this just something ill have to play around with.
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

What do you have, one 4-channel amp to power subs and components?

Hint:  Oftentimes a person's quick impressions of installers isn't entirely accurate.  You might consider what it'd be like if someone were trying to get a free apprenticeship by peering over your shoulder while you were trying to do an install.  Lot of installers on this forum, y'know.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dawggboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

im not saying all installers are like this. but for example the best installer i ever dealt with in my opinion would take the time to show me everything he did for my install, give me all the owners manuals etc. so i had them, give my system an initial tuning then sit in my car/truck with me to show me how to properly tune it to my taste (and without destroying  what hed just installed) and then hed give me a few tips on future upgrades that might be helpful in the future. and he never ever acted as though i was stupid. on the other end of the spectrum another local installer acted as though i didnt know anything when i was looking for new equipment and never took anytime to go over what he had installed or how to use anything i purchased. the difference i suppose between loving what you do and just wanting to take every kids money who wanted a pair of subs and some boom boom in the trunk.

i am running two amps a cadence txa-3004 4 channel amp on the components and a

cadence txa-3002 2 channel amp on the subs it is rated as follows

2x 150 watts @ 4 ohms

2 x 300 watts @ 2 ohms

1 x 600 watts @ 4 ohms bridged

my subs are Cadence zxw-102 10's rated 300 watts rms 600 watts peak and are 2 ohm single voice coils

dawggboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
anybody ever wired up a dual alternator setup i will be utilizing two stock 105 amp alternators??
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2009 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
You can wire thoes subs one to each channel, or you can bridge your amp and run you subs in series to produce a 4 ohm load, each option will create the same power output, so do what is best for you..
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
lose that capacitor, its wasted space if you plan to add an alternator and new battery. and definitely lose those boss speakers because your front components should be more than enough to get good sound in a small truck.
dawggboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for all your input its nice to finally get some answers on a forum rather than just mindless boggle back and forth. still wondering if i need to install any other relays or such for the second alternator to work properly. My thinking was that if i use a stock alternator (which fits my setup perfectly and a stock plug tapped into the other alternators plug then run the wires from the + output post on the alternator to the Kinetix battery + terminal and run my ground to the frame from the battery i should be able to power my amps and power inverter off of this setup without interfering with the stock system at all. Am i correct on this if not please set me straight im no professional installer but common sense as a mechanic tells me this should work since both alternators have internal voltage regulators.
stevdart 
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know the answer to your alt question, but I wonder where you plan to install the second alt?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic