icon

viper 5301 in a ’97 ford f150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
konatide 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

I'm preparing to install a DEI Viper 5301 Remote Start Keyless Entry module in my 1997 F150. The truck is an automatic with a gas engine, power locks, but no factory keyless entry.

For those familiar with the DEI line of products, the first of six wiring harnesses that come with this unit has a Remote Start / Turbo Timer Activation Input, do I have to do anything with this wire? If I understand it correctly, out of the box it is programmed as an on/off switch.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
for your application you wont use the turbo timer and that wire is not needed.
konatide 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply ckeeler.  It sounds as if the turbo timer functionality would be an optional use for this wire, with the primary function being remote start activation.  With the unit giving you the option to program this input for other uses, it makes sense that it's not a required input for the remote start functionality, but I just wanted to make sure.  Thanks again!

Perhaps someone can explain something else to me.  Why does this unit have multiple ignition or accessory inputs and outputs, i.e. ignition 1, ignition 2, etc.?  Is it to provide power to multiple circuits that typically have power going to them when the key is in the run position?

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
yes. most vehicles have more than one ignition circuit and more than one accessory circuit and some even have 2 starter circuits. they give you the extra circuits on the remote start to be able to power all the necessary circuits on most vehicles out there. some that require more ignition, start or accessory wires to be powered than what is provided from the remote start unit have to be powered using relays and most units will have extra low current negative outputs for that purpose.
konatide 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2009 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

I’ve just finished the wiring of a Viper 5301 Remote Start in my 97’ F150, but changes to menu options don’t seem to take.  Specifically, I’m trying to change the default setting for the type of transmission in the vehicle.  The unit is configured for manual transmissions by default, but I have an automatic.  The option is the first item on menu three.  Here’s what I’ve been doing.

1. Turn the Ignition on and then off.

2. Press and hold the valet button.  The LED will flash once, a few seconds later it flashes twice, and a few seconds later it flashes three times.
3. At this point I release the valet button, and the LED flashes three times every second or so until I do something.   I’m assuming I am now on menu three.
4. I press and release the button once and then press and hold the button until it flashes once per second.  At this point I’m assuming the unit knows that I want to change the first item on menu three.
5. I press and hold the valet button and hit the unlock button on the remote.
6. I release the valet button

The instructions say to wait 30 seconds or turn the ignition on to exit the menus.  I’ve tried exiting the menus both ways, but every time I try the remote start, the parking lights flash seven times.

7 flashes - Manual transmission mode is enabled and not initialized.

Is there something I’m missing that I need to do to save changes?  Does anyone see anything wrong with what I’m doing?

dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
ok try this way forget the instructions turn ing on then back off press and hold the valet button (have your car horn hook up that way it would be a lot easier listen to the horn) until you hear 3 chirps from the car horn at this point release the button and press two times and hold on to it you would hear the car horn one time at this point hit the unlock on your transmitter you would hear the horn two times at this point turn ing on then back off and test the remote start
konatide 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply dtk1.  I went through the procedure you noted above, but when I went to test the remote start I accidentally hit the unlock button on the remote and now the LED on the valet/program button just keeps flashing.  The unit is unresponsive at this point, so I'm off to find out what a continuos flashing LED means.  Any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated.

konatide 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Does the Control Center LED flash during normal operation?  I can't seem to find anything in the manuals that talks about the LED when the unit is not in a programming mode.  That is, other than a comment that the unit will go into a power saving mode after 24 hours and the LED flash at a slower frequency.

tails&tires 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
I went through this about 3 dozen times last nightnwith my 5501. In step #4 that you listed,try not letting go of the valet switch once your in menu 3 feature 1.  Hit your lock button while  holding the valet button. Don't give up!!! I was trying for about an hour and VERY frustrated but it finally took. Try it with the system armed and unarmed if you have it controling your alarm...... and I think I had the doors closed when it took. When I got it to work I was too scared to dick with any of the other features so I came inside and bought a bitwriter on ebay so I can see the menus. That valet button programming is a terrible set up.
konatide 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Hey tails&tires, thanks for the reply!!!  I'll give your suggestion a shot since it still isn't working.  In fact, I've been looking at the bitwriters also; a small price to pay to maintain some sanity!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic