icon

carbon fiber

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
veedubbiker 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2003 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I'm planning a fiberglass enclosure to hang under my back shelf.  I'm planning on constructing the box out of mdf and figerglass, then as a cool finish, putting a sheet of carbon fiber over the whole thing.  Do I need special resin for the carbon fiber mat?  Has anyone tried this before?  It's not cheap but I think it's going to look cool when its done.  TIA.
-Matt
ergoaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

Yes you need a special resin for the carbon fiber.  Normal resin will dry with a yellowish color.  Check with whoever you are getting the carbon from and they should have it.  If not you can go to www.selectproducts.com and they will have it.  Wherever you go it will be kind of expensive just to warn ya!

If your ears aren't bleeding... it's not loud enough.
chad1234 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Hey just to let you know. I'm in the aviation industry and I work with carbon fiber every day. PLEASE make sure you wear a resporator and all the personal protective gear, especially if you have to do any cutting or sanding with this stuff. If you breath the dust it will get into your lungs and cause a nasty infection. Same with your skin. Just looking out for our own. Buy the way, I did the same thing on a sub box and it looks great.
Chad
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
another thing you want to get beside the resin and mat is another product that goes with this. it is called bubble eater. i know select sells it. it gets rid of all the bubbles that appear in the resin as it cures after you apply it to the mat. then after the resin cures sand it buff it, then you can add more resin to make it thicker. basically its like a clear coat when painting.
veedubbiker 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
What is select, a supplier?  Can I get a website?  Thanks for the tips guys.
-Matt
veedubbiker 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
Never mind, I see it.
-Matt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic