the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

silencing panels in my truck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
hello everybody,
i want to ask if anyone knows any other sound dampening techniques. my whole truck is lined with 1 to 2 layers of fatmat except for the roof, i have packing foam behind most of my panels and i even used a paper towel to stop my rear sliding glass from rattling. but i still get some annoying rattles. its like a never ending cycle, i add more dampening materials so cab gets quieter which makes me notice even the smallest things that rattle. does anybody know anything else that i can do?
dawggboy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
you could try a roll on type bed liner on all the metal the use the layers of fatmat.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
hello everybody,
i want to ask if anyone knows any other sound dampening techniques. my whole truck is lined with 1 to 2 layers of fatmat except for the roof, i have packing foam behind most of my panels and i even used a paper towel to stop my rear sliding glass from rattling. but i still get some annoying rattles. its like a never ending cycle, i add more dampening materials so cab gets quieter which makes me notice even the smallest things that rattle. does anybody know anything else that i can do?

It has always been a never ending cycle for me. You find one rattle and fix it with some good old engineering then a week or so later a new one surfaces. I still have yet to find a way to stop this. You just have to keep hunting them down and fix them. As for a single product. I dont think there is one. I have over 200 SQ of dynamat in my Navi. now my headliner is rattling on the mat in places. Its just one of those things that you just have to stay on top of, find where its coming from and try to eliminate.

silencing panels in my truck - Last Post -- posted image.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
 j.reed hit the nail on the head.........you have to hunt them and fix them as they appear........you can put flex-loom on your rods of your door locks if not done, but it seems to be a never ending cycle.
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
yup...same thing with me!  fixed my rear deck from vibrating(again) last week, then noticed that my headliner is vibrating!  : (  It's my sun roof mechanism so I'm pondering how to fix that without disturbing it in any way!  Just lazy about it...i guess!  I hate that sound.....irks me!
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
04nata 
Copper - Posts: 358
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
an I thought I was the only one with rattles after using E-Dead, seems like a new one surfaces every week, right now I have one in the deck or headliner that I cannot find, it is hiding from me, but eventually I will have my day of victory
2004 Hyundai Sonata
Kenwood KDC-X599 HU
2-Sundown X-18D4
2-SQ Q4500.1
2-SQ Q90.4
1-Massive DBX4
8-Niche 5.25 mids
8-Niche Tweeters
4-Skar 8" mid-bass
OhioGen 220a alt
OhioGen 350a alt
asc1963 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Can you isolate the components that are making the noises ? That is the obvious first step. Then, if it's a rattle, I'd use medium density PVC foam in between the parts that are rattling. If the components are really smacking against each other, I'd put a poly film tape on the top of the PVC foam to prevent it from getting torn up. If you only have squeaks, I'd simply put clear poly tape between the two surfaces to isolate them from each other. The poly tape allows the parts to slide on top of each other without squeaking. PVC foam and Poly Tape will fix pretty much any squeak or rattle I've ever encountered in a car or truck.
asc
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
well right now its just 2 things that are rattling, the panel covering the passenger B pillar where the seat belt attaches and the trim around my radio and AC controls. the tricky thing with the B pillar is that it only rattles when im driving so i cant figure out if it is the actual panel or if it is something behind the panel. and plus this panel is next to impossible to remove. the push fasteners break before they will pull out of the hole so im trying to avoid that.
asc1963 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
There's a ball bearing in the seat belt retractor that can rattle and be annoying. That's probably a long shot, but a possibility and can't be fixed. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to remove the trim to get at the problem ... and the trim itself might be the problem too. Try sliding something in between the edge of the trim and the B-pillar. By putting outward pressure on the trim piece itself, it may stop the rattle. Ir it does, then it's the trim that's rattling. If it doesn't, it's something behind it. As far as the radio bezel goes, remove it and put some real thin cloth tape or felt on the backside of the bezel and maybe even around the clip slots.This fix would work on the B-pillar trim too.
asc
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 08, 2009 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  
yeah thats what makes me think it is something behind the B pillar because i already have acoustic foam stuffed behind that panel and i still hear it rattling so it must be something else. could be the ball bearing like you said but i hope it is something else because it doesn't make the same noise on the drivers side.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic