icon

quick disconnect for amplifier hookups?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
psyon 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

i'm putting a system in my wagon...  it is meant to look good for shows but also be removable if i need to haul stuff. 

nothing crazy or over the top  - just two 12's in a sealed enclosure, the amp pushing them will be mounted at an angle on display above the box.  there will be a beauty board in front of the box with a smooth vinyl-covered top, amp in middle.  this won't beat a full-on custom setup but will beat the "box in the trunk" crowd.

anyway, my question:  since the amp will be mounted on top of the box, is there a way to make a quick-disconnect for amplifier power, ground, input, and turn-on leads?  like a harness or something i can just unplug when i need to pull the box out?  has anyone ever seen any product like that or fabbed one up?

suggestions very much appreciated.  if you have ideas on how else to display the amp while preserving cargo space & maintaining the easy removal for the box, i'm all ears.  it's an audi wagon, no real room where the spare tire is and no room for the amp on either side of the trunk area. 

amp is an orion xtr2150 (like 2 feet long), subs are XTR series 1s.  yeah i know, but it's a legacy build, so cut me some slack.  ;)  TIA for all your help!

Loving Car Audio since 1992
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
oh i'll add (not that i think it is necessary), but my car is a 2002 Audi allroad, running aftermarket deck.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

You could use 100 amp weliding cable connectors, but on that amp it might be risky.  Can't you find a way to permently mount the amp and just dissconnect the speaker wires?

psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

lspker wrote:
You could use 100 amp weliding cable connectors, but on that amp it might be risky.  Can't you find a way to permently mount the amp and just dissconnect the speaker wires?

If i could do that, i would.  there isn't a place where i can display the amp though.  the sides of the hatch area aren't deep enough to display the amp with the box in the car; conversely if i put the amp behind the box attached to the seats, you won't see it.  the idea was to have it on display, but also make it removeable in case i had to haul something.

a friend pointed me toward these:

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=187&Cfid=5952306&CFTOKEN=63413074

which looks like might be my best bet.

ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thoes are what I would use for a breakaway system for power and ground. They are commonly used for electric forklifts and can hadle a very large load.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic