DIY Bass Knob

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
First off, I love this site!!!
Hopefully I am in the right place with this post, i am a noob...
Well, i got a used amp that has a remote bass plug, I figured instead of spending $30 for a bulky knob, i wanted to put one in the dash, so using parts i probably already have around here, I want to make my own, does anyone know which wires do what? what type of POT i need, are there any resistors or diodes anywhere, basically, a schematic for a bass knob is what I am looking for. I have searched the net with no luck, so I figured I would try good ol the12Volt. Thanks for any info.
Brain
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Radio Shack part number 271-1732

DIY Bass Knob -- posted image.

bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply, from what I am seeing, this is for an in-line "rca" type of gain adjustment to go in between the head unit / EQ and the amp correct? Which I had thought of, but was looking not to do. What I was looking for was for the phone jack style connector that is on the amplifier, it is the 4 wires, so one set is on, one set is out, and probably the positives, was looking if there are any types of resistors or diodes that need inline there, or if i can go straight to the pot, and if anyone knows which pins are which on the amp, which i could probably figure that out with a meter, i was hoping someone had done this before, maybe if anyone has a bass knob they can look in and see if there are any resistors, or whatnot, and give me the color bands on them, or let me know what components you see there with the pot, it is for a lanzar vibe 231 amp. I do prefer the instant controll of an EQ, but until I can afford a good one, waned to see what this knob would do for me, as i know i have plenty of parts laying around v.s. spending 20-50 bucks...
Brain
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Each company does theres in a different order. I have a kicker and crossfire knob that niether work on my memphis amp or in any other combo of knobs with amps. The easiest and best way i have found is not even using the phone hookup type. I only use rca style now. It works especially well in my 2 amp sub system now. with one knob to control both amps. PAC makes an LC-1 it is only like 10-15 dollars and you can remove the ouside case to put it anywhere you want. I would spend the 10 buck ans save the time. My time is not cheap.
DIY Bass Knob -- posted image.
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
 I also use the LC-1 and i will not use anything else nowadays 500X better than anything that comes with amp 
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

j.reed wrote:
Each company does theres in a different order. I have a kicker and crossfire knob that niether work on my memphis amp or in any other combo of knobs with amps. The easiest and best way i have found is not even using the phone hookup type. I only use rca style now. It works especially well in my 2 amp sub system now. with one knob to control both amps. PAC makes an LC-1 it is only like 10-15 dollars and you can remove the ouside case to put it anywhere you want. I would spend the 10 buck ans save the time. My time is not cheap.

just the way I do it too. DIY Bass Knob -- posted image.

Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic